Durometer Theory

Duro is the way to measure however I wouldn’t trust Chinese ratings at all. Go with gut feeling on hardness for Chinese wheels.

What would you propose to rate wheels otherwise?

If you’re looking for comfort, go AT

I reckon PU Wheels need a standardized comfort rating. Something like this, feel free to correct the rating order for me.

1 out of 10 for normal tech skateboarding wheels
3 out of 10 for China wheels with fake duro ratings
5 to 6 out of 10 for old Evolve street wheels and Boosted originals
7 out of 10 for Orangutans and most reputed USA longboard pours. Holey thanes?
8 out of 10 for real ABEC11s
9 out of 10 for Boa wheels
10 out of 10 for ----???

• that’s it basically.
    Need the stealth aspect in my part of town for them ATs. too attractive for green coppers to track down.
1 Like

Hmm I get what you mean with the comfort rating but it’d be hard to standardize and everyone’s scale would be different.

I’ve heard Boosted clones roll pretty nice. Generally speaking, the more (quality) thane, the nicer the ride will be.

2 Likes

Comfort rating is also wheel size and core type dependent so it’s not a good metric categories all of these in a scale of 1-10.

I would list it by wheel sizes,

80-85mm: Otang caguama/Abec 83, boosted 85, Chinese abec clones
90mm: boosted 90/abec 90, labeda pour 90mm (popoca, hyperdrive, hatchlings)
97-100mm: evolve GTR/100boas, abec 97, Chinese 97

100+: 120mm foamies/TB 110 aqua blue, TB110,

Abec core gives you a more controllable feel whereas kegel core is more plush cus the core is smaller, more thane, and it’s almost always offset so you have more grip when you carve.

4 Likes

Urethane has many different properties, starting with hardness/durometer. Resilience (rebound) is an extremely important property for the our applications.

https://moldeddimensions.com/resilience-rebound.php

Different compounds also perform differently at different temperatures. For example:

image https://moldeddimensions.com/images/resiliencefig4.png

^this curve also demonstrates how dramatic our bushing performance changes in colder months.

2 Likes