DIY Ex-Snowboard (diy e-freeboard) SummerBoard

yep exactly.
My point being even a v4 VESC can easily smoke a 5055 motor (twice as easy with 1/2 the powered center wheel modules)

VESC not needed to get a working board, unless going up a steep hill fast is your goal.

Slight concern with uphills given the single drive wheel but it would still be ok for some hills.

1 Like

Looking at your OG drawing it makes sense to me the highest refined design for manufacturing would be PCB slip rings like the SBX directly coupled to a PCB battery and a ESC all one module. Minimal wiring to make it super compact.

Issue with that design is do you try making the Caster module low enough to fit below the battery pack all below the deck or do you split the battery to either side so the caster sits up against the bottom of the deck like the SBX.

I guess actually you could have a PCB battery pack with a hole in the middle or a C shape.

1 Like

op make sure you look at this.

Awkay It’s me again :))

So i drew up new design and i think it look really dope!

I was thinking alot about the slipring and I think this variant would be the most durable and easy to make. I dont want to use pcb sliprings(pancake sliprings) because It would need much precision and to me it would be a bit too expensive.

Batteries would be on the bottom splitted in two segments
Electronics such as vesc and other would be stored in the upper tank
The cables of the batteries would go through drilled holes in the deck.

I’m probably going to buy used esc because why not
Is it worth buying prebuilt batteries? or build them myself using 18650 batteries?
If I build batteries myself do they need some type of protection?

And what is the difference in esc 75V 80A continous and 75V 80A peak?

3 Likes

And the bearing will be sitting below the deck not in the deck

1 Like

if you want to recreate the design shown here for pivot bearing and slip ring you need these parts.

3 Likes

I dont actually inderstand something
Are you making your caster with suspension or something?

1 Like

Sorry that was just the render I had onhand. it had suspension because there were three castors in the middle so keeping traction required suspension.

This is the same idea with no suspension:

The multiple parts of the modular castor could be replaced with a single piece of C channel extrusion.

Need to determine what is an acceptable caster/rocker height

to shrink this design as much as possible this is the smallest pivot bearing.

All the transparent parts would need to be custom made.

with a 3x2" C channel extrusion there is room for a 12mm wide gear / pulley.

25:46 190KV 10S 25mph 12S 30mph

the lowest height you can make the design with minimal deck mods is the diameter of the caster wheel.

Side note if you want to try two castors on the nose and tail of the popsicle deck you could drop it lower.
Edge wheels in the middle of the deck like the @Mistreetsurf would be worth a test in general.

1 Like

Random note if you made the module pictured above these light up wheels would work.

Basically the same cost of the other wheels, if you wanted some cool looks but probably worse grip.

Maybe wrap the underside of the board with reflective material also.

I was thinking to 3d print or plastic mold a wheel shape and then wrap it with 2-3 layers of inner bike tube. and glue them together with silicone. Although i dont know if i will be able to get this small size innerbike tube.

1 Like

your sketches are quite artistic :muscle:

good luck with the build

2 Likes

Hey nice to see some new interest in a diy e snow board freebord, 3d printed parts work for proto typing…myne has lasted now for 3 months riding every second day without breaking, but I know if I try and jump on it, it will break. That said I’m not too sure what the solution is, I rekon aluminum welded parts or channel for the casters. Hope this helps you, still is good to make something yourself :snowboarder::+1: don’t give up. The other option is to try…and get a set of freebord casters and mod them to make it work, at least you know it will last​:+1:
Jon

2 Likes

Thanks jon, i really appreciate your comment. Yeah im thinking to firstly 3d print it, then when design will be polished, i will convert it into metal.

Sadly currently i literally dont have any money i can hardly afford food, as i am in a really bad financial situation. So no building this year :). Thinking about starting to build next year’s summer, spring.

I know how that feels believe me, but the first time you slide or spin the board you have made…you will know it is worth your effort, …I say again…don’t give up, If you need help let me know, I also had to build cheap…but so what👍

2 Likes

Hey guys I’m back here. Just a year ago I started making “EX-SnowBoard ”. This is the drawing

EX-SnowBoard ” Is a board which has one 360 wheel in the middle and two normal skate trucks, batteries, rc remote, one motor.

Have any suggestions?

3 Likes

Oh though of an idea where i use bushings instead of rounded wheels

1 Like

This would be really awesome.

But at that price point, it would just be a turd that would break down or burn down. I would aim for a much higher price point, double at an absolute minimum, probably 5 - 6x.

2 Likes

With only one motor it’s not gonna be fast… if you want the board to be able to slide it and spin it properly you should go for 2 rotating casters :v: good luck!

Love your sketch BTW :heart:

2 Likes