DIY Carbon Fiber Enclosure

i came across this pretty old video and was surprised at how easy the process appears* because i don’t see many people using this technique to make enclosures themselves, mostly FB is used only as a veneer…is there a reason? is this a bad technique? seems like much less a ball-ache than working with fiberglass

*i have not tried myself, could also be ball-ache

2 Likes

It’s just a positive mould isn’t it?
It’s less work than female mould but more work to get a good finish.

Edit.
There’s a whole thread on this already…?

4 Likes

yeah positive.
and yeah in the video he doesn’t finish it properly, doesn’t sand etc. still, not a bad for fast and dirty method

First enclosure I made like this.
Cf on positive buck.
For a tesseract also. Didn’t ever end up using it ahah

9 Likes

the $40 thread is all veneers on top of fiberglass, not the method i linked
fb seems like a nightmare to work with

The video you linked, the first White cloth is fibreglass…

1 Like

ah yeah you’re right, watching with the sound off lol

I didn’t even watch. Fast forward on mute. :joy:

3 Likes

still using a fiberglass sheet is new to me, only see people with the messy af hay type stuff.
your enclosure looks decent tho, give it mat finish it’d be totally fine imo

It’s on the shelf and never getting used mate. Haha. Moved on to different projects. It is good, clear coated after that. Looks good and strong as. Just wrong shape.

2 Likes

good for u i guess lol

Carbon fiber in general is bad to use when you have radio devices inside the enclosure.

Carbon fiber is not transparent to radio like fiberglass is.

4 Likes

ah shit. thanks for letting me know
are their any remotes that are CB proof. i seem to remember reading the Hoyt Puck has powerful signalling capabililties, like can activate device through many walls etc

1 Like

Many of them will work through carbon fiber. Some better than others.

But the general idea is that your life depends on the clear reception of the radio, why would you wrap it with something that blocks it?

Trust me man, I don’t like fiberglass. At all. It’s annoying. I think carbon fiber is awesome. But I wouldn’t use carbon fiber for esk8 enclosures.

6 Likes

no no, i trust you fully, just tryna work out what to do about my enclsoure problem :tired_face:

Use fibreglass…?
If u think the chopped strand mat (the hay looking stuff) looks difficult, plenty of other options. Regular weave cloth, woven roving (wider weave and heavier weight) and also biaxial and quadaxial fabrics for strength. They’re all itchy, but so is carbon fibre. The layup and methods are the same for both types of fabrics.

6 Likes

Yep, i exclusively use fibreglass cloth and woven roving now, chop strand just isn’t my cup of tea.

As with anything there is a learning curve and it may take you a few attempts to get it right, but the satisfaction of building your own enclosure is kinda hard to beat.

5 Likes

Still contemplating doing it, the CF technique in the vid made me think it was maybe easier, but since there’s a risk of using it for the enclosure I’ll rethinking it.

1 Like

Thanks for the info, I’ll look into those things

You can use exactly the same technique with fibreglass cloth. Go forth and build…:+1:

3 Likes