DAVEGA X Customizable Screens: How would you like it?

Right. I’m actually thinking of doing something like that. I’m just not sure if it’s not total overkill because maybe what people really want is the current screens with one or two changes. And maybe making something complex for the customization is not even what people would prefer since they would then need to learn how to use it. Sometimes providing fewer options and deciding things for the user is better/preferred. This thread is to find out.

1 Like

I would personally prefer keeping speed big, and it looks like there’s room to the left of the speed number where amps can go; perhaps I’n a different color than the yellow speed indicator so it’s easy to distinguish?

Only if you keep the speed below 100. :smile:

Seriously though, this is a good idea. I could get that implemented pretty quickly since there’s already a setting for what the “speed area” should show. I could just extend the options to something like:

• speed
  • motor amps
  • battery amps
  • speed & motor amps
  • speed & battery amps

With the last two, the speed would be maxed out at 99, which shouldn’t be a problem for most people… except for @mackann and him alike. :grin:

4 Likes

Yah, the triple digit speeds would be an issue for km/hr. And we’d have to prepare for 100+ amps as well to keep it double digits. Say when you hit 100 amps it shows kiloamperes? Haha .01kiloampere. not ideal

2 Likes

Would be cool if there was an app or something to make this customisation easier. I imagine it might be a bit of a ballache to do all of the customisation using the davega itself

2 Likes

Right. If it’s to happen in the “big way”, the configuration will definitely be done outside of DAVEGA. I’m thinking of making a web app for it. DAVEGA would then download the config file over WiFi.

6 Likes

That would be ideal :ok_hand:

Agree on that, while battery amps usually is kept bellow 100 A, motor amps certainly much more people brake the 100 A value, specially if it shows both motor summed

1 Like

Yes, that’s actually the main reason the “speed area” has three digits allocated. I don’t really expect the third digit to be used when showing speed (especially with mph :)).

I’m thinking of having the bigger number always showing speed (in two digits) and acompany it with a smaller number that has 3 digits allocated - use that for motor or battery amps.

I’ll play with the layout tomorrow. I can then probably get it implemented quickly and release for people to test. (Can’t do much testing myself now since we just got snow and my board is not quite snow-ready.)

3 Likes

Sooo… This may be a bit too much on the goofy side but… it works quite well with the space available.

The idea is to restrict the speed to two digits. The max/min displayable values are then 99/-9, which should be fine.

The motor/battery amps would then be squeezed to the area that’s normally allocated for the first digit. The problem is the area is quite narrow though tall. Two-digit amps could be displayed “vertically” like this:

So far so good. Now it gets a bit more goofy though. 99 amps won’t be enough for some folks. We could display values in the 100-199 range like this:

199 would be the max displayable value. That’s enough, right? Or?

We also need to be able to display braking currents. For that I would just do color coding - display as a positive number in red:

What do you guys think? @Creavenger @Saturn_Corp

7 Likes

You could probably do the red for the speed too maybe? Would that cause issues in the sense of glanceability?

I could. I think that’s actually very minor though. How often do people really go on reverse and check their speed?

Good point! I don’t personally, mostly just adding some conversation to this. I am pretty excited about this possibility to edit home screen layout regardless.

1 Like

liking it would def use it

1 Like

Looks great! The red value would be very intuitive, nice idea. 199 amps would be enough for me and I hope I will never go faster than 99 km/h on my boards :rofl:

Would be great if there would be an option to disable the motor amps value, by choosing a different screenset for example, it would provide a cleaner look in case that is preferred, and its not like I pay close attention to my amps during every ride.

The idea is that you will have the following options to choose from:

• speed
  • motor A
  • battery A
  • speed & motor A
  • speed & battery A

The former 3 already exist today. The latter 2 would be new and only there you would get to see the extra value in the top area.

I’d love to have color coding across the board. For me, my ideal would be large speed numbers as they are now, then motor amps, and battery amps, watt hours, voltage, distance and range tiled beneath…

Say, have each value be colored and change on a gradient in real time based on your min and max settings for that value, say green to yellow to orange to red (or customizable). This would mean looking at the number itself is less important. I know what value is where on the screen, I glance down at that portion of the screen real quick and see orange, and I know I’m at 60A out of 80A max battery amps. Range? It’s red… Getting to almost nothing :neutral_face:… Stop and look to see the red number says 1.5 miles.

1 Like

Makes sense. I like the idea. I’ll think about it. Thanks for the feedback!

1 Like

I have just improved the fault code handling. Before, the fault code would be displayed in the battery gauge area while it lasts. It could easily go away unnoticed though.

Now there’s an alarm screen that you need to actively suppress by pressing a button.

Here’s a quick demo (the display colors are a bit off on the camera):

4 Likes

I just uploaded v3.4.0rc (rc = release candidate). It has:

• VESC fault alarms (as demoed above)
  • displaying speed + battery or motor current simultaneously

The latter is enabled in Menu > Misc > riding screen main:

I had to abbreviate a bit so that the selected values fit here:

Hopefully it’s still clear. The current is displayed exactly as on the mock up above, i.e.:

It doesn’t work in the horizontal mode (yet). I’m not sure if anyone even uses it. @rpasichnyk, do you happen to still use it?

Please note that even without these new features the system was very low on memory and this makes it even worse. You may encounter memory errors more frequently, especially if you open the menu and then do a lot of screen switching. I recommend that you do a restart after changing menu settings.

I do like the amps display. Thanks for the idea. I’m looking forward to testing it myself. Snow has already melted. Hopefully roads get dry soon.

3 Likes