Community lead mandatory safety

TSG makes some ankle protection…I saw someone mention it in one of these safety threads

I think it was these. Not sure how commonly they are used though, or how much they help

I wear Nike SBs. I think most people are wearing skate shoes. Some people wear padded or reinforced high tops of some type.

1 Like

I mentioned it and I use just like those. They are 6/10 comfortable.

1 Like

Do you think it’s saver to ride in a lower position similar to downhill longboarders? I usually ride almost upright no matter the speed. It seems like when you are lower to the ground you don’t smash forwards quite so bad and transition to slide better.

2 Likes

In my humble experience I’d say the main safety factor for your balance and in case of fall is how low you sit on your knees / legs, not specially how much you tuck ? Tuck posture will help you reduce your air drag thus give you more aerodynamic stability, however you’ll be also working your weight repartition and balance with needle like precision. This means you need to build calf and ankle muscles, greatly increase your control.

That’s my personal feel, others might feel different.

See it another way, if you sit low on your knees you’ll pump your legs easier. Tucking by itself could maybe help you shift your weight up and down during the momentum when you go for the pump because you’ll naturally shift upwards I think.

However if you faceplant, you faceplant head first which is not pretty… so slide pads etc to help you mitigate the impact with your arms instead, if you’re fast enough to slide it out ?

2 Likes

In my experience wearing a wrist brace stopped wrist injuries, and started finger injuries. Right now I ride with moto gloves that have extra sliders around the wrist and palm so that they don’t catch on the pavement, which seems to be best for me. YMMV.

Interesting, cool thanks, I suppose I can see that point of view

1 Like

:thinking:

5 Likes

That’s the difference between a SNELL and an ECE/FIM helmet right there

That’s a lot of text, all I have to say is that I’ve learned not to fall on my wrists.

Model? I’m looking to upgrade. A doctor friend of mine said the most common injury she saw last year on pevs was wrist injuries :grimacing:

1 Like

:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Anyway, I use Flatland3D’s pro gloves, which come with plates that stop your wrist from hyper-extending. Highly recommend.

1 Like

Joe Rocket Highside. They have slide armor and padding on all the exterior knuckles, and then I took a set of velcro sliders from a dead set of rollerblading gloves and shoe goo-ed them on the palms. I ride with my hands balled up so that there’s sliders all round, since leather can still catch on pavement

5 Likes

Call me overly pessimistic, but i don’t trust any safety gear from niche esk8 companies.

There’s much more robust (and regulated) safety r&d for moto and mtb, and no reason it needs to be different for us.

I know people seem to like flatland3d, but it’s not for me.

Most moto gear tends to be either overkill, expensive, too heavy, or incompatible with our sport (standing, holding a remote). Would love to be proven wrong though!

Flatland3D does make quality esk8 products for a budget price!

Speaking out of experience. My gloves did last half a season before they gave up.

1 Like