Cheap FOCer 3 (Open-source, Low-cost, VESC 6 based ESC) (In Development)

yep a regular nrf 51822 with vesc firmware

3 Likes

Hyped
Still slightly worried as to how the added height of caps will deal with the existing case. @shaman is there any way to move caps to different position or any other capacitor style that could be used that takes less space height wise? Not asking to change entire design, just wondering if design can be adapted to fit my existing case with cfoc2ā€™s without making entirely new case.

Just noticed that USB is pointing sideways? How well do the focers stack when placed next to eachother. Is it still possible to connect usb or is JST in the way? Old design that vertical usb connector.

EDIT: While looking for parts for different project I noticed that BMI323 is available since autumn.
https://eu.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Bosch-Sensortec/BMI323?qs=By6Nw2ByBD3%2FE1v0UqNQPQ%3D%3D
According to this article they run better specs than the previous BMI160. Not sure if itā€™s compatable with BMI160 layout, but it is a good sign things are improving in silicon production.
https://www.designworldonline.com/motion-sensor-boasts-current-consumption-of-790Āµa-compared-to-925Āµa/

2 Likes

How much Z height can be accommodated by your application?

Good find. Iā€™ll look into it and see if it performs better than what Iā€™m using now

4 Likes

@shaman You said at the beginning of this thread that the hardware will be open source. I understand itā€™s still under development but can we have a peek at the current state of the schematics, BOM, layout please? Do you have a git repo for development?

3 Likes

I am starting to gather the parts to make an as diy as possible board. Will the cfoc3 be able to handle a 18s2p battery with P42A cells? Figure I can make the battery and box in the hopes that this will be public by the time I finish.

From post #1ā€¦

New Features and Improvements vs CFOC2:

• 16S safe operation
  • Estimated 120A motor operation
  • USB-C connector
  • Phase filters
  • DRVless design
  • Easy Bluetooth module addon
  • Further improvements to electrical stability from lessons learned in my more powerful designs
  • 1A 5V auxiliary output
3 Likes

That is apparently dated. See Fluxā€™s Jan 4 post.

1 Like

Iā€™d rather wait until the github release before showing schematics. Nothing is ready to be presented. Let me clean them up and such. before I do.

The layout is similar to the CFOC2.

8 Likes

Hello. I am building an electric skateboard with dual 100A motors and was wondering if I could beta test a pair of the Cheap Focer 3.

When the source code will be ready, so people could start ordering? Cheap focer 2 seems too outdated these days.

2 Likes

Iā€™m working on a team of engineering students doing field-oriented control using space-grade MOSFETs and gate drivers. The Cheap FOCer 3 seems like the perfect design for our application, with its separate gate drivers, but it hasnā€™t been released yet. In the meantime, weā€™d like to try removing the DRV from the Cheap FOCer 2 and use three separate gate drivers instead. Would this be possible, and would we need to make changes to the firmware?

1 Like

Welcome!
Just curiousā€¦what made you guys go with space grade FETs? Yea, you get a rad hard component with good SEB tolerance but thatā€™s not really needed beneath an atmosphere. And the cost difference is astronomical. :wink:

3 Likes

We are all eagerly waiting for Github. Recently, I assembled the Cheap FOCer 2 and tested it on three different motors. It performs well on those with higher resistance, but struggles on those that can handle more current. The biggest issue with Cheap FOCer 2 is its safe operating limit, which is around 51-52V. 80% of devices operate on 13s, 14s, or 16s battery packs.

1 Like

The ETA for the CFOC3 is not a hard date. Iā€™m working on it in parallel to many many other projects.

The current status is that it is has passed field testing and Iā€™ve gotten quotes for production. Once units are in production, then Iā€™ll turn my focus on the github for the CFOC3.

8 Likes

With all due respect to the great work that Shaman put into the cfocer, it looks like this CFOC3 track is slowly getting coldā€¦

Itā€™s unfortunate that the ā€œpromised landā€ of CFOC3 is effectively keeping the crowd on standby instead of trying to further develop CFOC2. I donā€™t know if things are at a point where an alternative path should be considered, because my interpretation is that any github is 1 year+ in the future.

Sorry about being so pessimistic.

@jens_overby The CFOC series is an open source hardware project that I pour my own time and effort into for free. Iā€™ve already stated multiple times in this thread that the ETA is not defined.

That being, said the design has been confirmed to work to my expectations. The next step is going through with a small production batch so that finished hardware can be offered as well. There were several people wanting to just buy the CFOC2 outright and I would like to offer that for the CFOC3.

16 Likes

Thatā€™s no excuse manā€“chop chop!

Please add me to the list for one out of the production batch.

2 Likes

Are you seriously complaining about a man with a full time job not having enough time to dump his soul into an open source hardware project? Grow up and get in line

19 Likes

Iā€™m not complaining, and should not complain at all, and probably should just have kept my mouth shut. Iā€™m looking into vesc6 and kicad now, and itā€™s fun so far, but I might hit a wall. - maybe others are doing the same, and we could share knowledge on components and stuff. Maybe it should be in another thread though.

1 Like

If you are interested in designing an ESC, definitely checkout the discord channel, lots of people doing that there