Cheap FOCer 2 (Open-source, Low-cost, VESC 6 based ESC) (v0.9 Release. Beta testing ongoing)

Yeah that was the intent.

There still seems to be some value that changes when the drv goes into limp mode.

1 Like

My assumption was that the DRV went to it’s default values. But maybe really garbage is just being accidentally written to the SPI registers

1 Like

This probably needs more investigation. @doomy are still running it at 13S and high motor currents?

1 Like

I updated the hardware on my onewheel. This is running on 12s and with hall sensors. I still get these DRV errors at low RPM and high currents (as i always had on 0.9 and on all my Cfocers).

btw, am i the only one that gets these errors or is nobody else torturing the focer with high currents?

1 Like

Typically the onewheelers don’t go with that high of currents. Also there are some suggested tweaks to conduct to the detected motor settings for the onewheel. I’ll post them here in a second.

The onewheel uses a large hub motor and the VESC stuff sometimes doesn’t handle them well with the standard detected settings. Settings that aren’t well tuned can cause faults and non-ideal behavior

2 Likes

@Fungineers has some good experience with the tweaks conducted to CFOC2. @Fungineers would you be able to provide your advice here?

1 Like

Hey @shaman, just wanted to say I have successfully assembled, flashed and run a full config on my first CheapFOCER2 v0.9. Outstanding work, thanks a lot! However, the test has been on a regular turnigy SK3 while waiting for a PEI scooter 800W 6" hub, so I’m also interested in the onewheel specific tweaks that @doomy is after.

I had to scavenge an IMU from a breakout board because of the shortage of that chip everywhere, but hey, if it works, it ain’t stupid!

1 Like

Hello all,
First, Thank you very much @shaman all the other contributors for your contributions.

I ordered 5 copies of the V 1 (JLCPCB has the DR8301 back in stock), received them, Followed the insctructions. But when I power them nothing happens and they reach the current limit of 100mA. I flashed the firmware and it looked like everything was working fine.

I have no idea what the problem could. When I power it using the st-link communication, the fault LED blinks.
The VESC Tool detects when it’s powered using the ST-link.
What might be the problem (Here are a few opictures of the board, please forgive my poor soldering skills)?

Is there a way of getting the error ?

The VESC tool tels me that the firmware is old, Can I update it using the VESC tool ?

The pictures :

Thank you very much in advance,
Ilias

PS: Sorry if this is the wrong place to post, please tell me where to do so if that’s the case.
I reposted the text with pictures since I couldn’t edit the older one.

Nope…nope…nope…no forgiveness from me. :grin:
I urge you to get a better soldering iron, better solder, lots more flux, and to redo all the connections. It looks like at least one of the FET pins actually isn’t soldered and most of the high power connections need work.

Until then we can’t even begin to work with you to sort out any other possible issues.

7 Likes

Thank you for your reply, I Will then and come back :slight_smile:

2 Likes

If ot does not turn on at all i would guess its the 22uH coil if you soldered it yourself. Otherwise probably the DRV. Did you do the diode test on the input?

@thunkar @doomy

This is help from @Fungineers. Let me know if it works!

2 Likes

Thank you for your reply.
It doesn’t turn on because the power supply activates the current limiting protection, (110 mA), which means the problem is why is it reaching 100 mA.

Which diode test ? If it’s the orientation, I checked, it is oriented correctly.

The DRV was soldered by JLCPCB, so I guess that’s shouldn’t be problem ?
I noticed that if I test the continuity between the two poles of c39 I get a bip ! I will investigate that also.

So its probably a shortcut somewhere before the buck converter in the drv. There is a simple test you can do on the pos neg pins with a multimeter diode tester. Its noted in the first post of this thread.

I did the same and it worked fine.

1 Like

Shoot, I didn’t realize there were different firmware versions for HW v0.9 and v1.0. On my v0.9 CFOC2’s I’m running Firmware 5.10 (marked as 5.01 in the distribution from your Github repository, but shows up as 5.10 in Vesc_tool).

Which version number should I be using on the v1.0 hardware?

Also, can I save a configuration from my v0.9 CFOC2’s and use it on the V1.0 boards?

Thanks!

2 Likes

v1.0 Firmware 5.02:

v0.9 Firmware 5.01:

2 Likes

Thanks doomy. Do you know if they’re compatible as far as saved configs go?

They should be if you use the same vesc tool version. I had some trouble (the motor started suddenly) when transferring the app config to vesc tool 3.0. so better redo the whole config. Recently i also did the resistor upgrade on a few 0.9 controllers but when flashing the v1.0 firmware trough vesc tool they did still show the old one after a reboot. I had to reflash the generic bootloader and then flash the new firmware.

1 Like