Cheap FOCer 2 (Open-source, Low-cost, VESC 6 based ESC) (v0.9 Release. Beta testing ongoing)

FOCer seems to be alive, works fine. Other components seem to be fine as well. Just that PSU…

1 Like

Hey is there some rough eta on 1.1?
I would like to know if its worth the wait for the price of PNP transistors :stuck_out_tongue:

1.0 isn’t released outside of beta/dev branch yet… That said, not sure if I recall seeing @shaman mention anything regarding 1.1 at this point.

Id say its going to be “Eventually™” as he’s been focusing more on the Super/Mother/Little FOCer plans as of late.

I wonder if there’s anyone in the crowd that’s enough of an EE to make the changes Shaman has in mind and get him to bless them?

2 Likes

Hi, what could be the problem? I get this error message when I try to connect via USB.

Canbus also not working. I got a similar error once on canbus and since then the scan canbus function can’t find anything. I think I would need split PPM but I can’t program the VESC in the vesc tool… maybe BT would work to program it but I don’t have a working and set up BT module. Btw I don’t see any damage on the PCB.

Edit: Sometimes I also get this error.

For like half a minute, out of a sudden both sides were working. Now again only one side works at a time… maybe the cable could be bad?

Also I have an update since then… I drove 2km with a single motor, a capacitor broke off due to vibrations. Thankfully I knew what happened and I bridged the two pins of the capacitor before I touched it… Is there any other way to use capacitors? Like a separate capacitor bank? If I would want a separate capacitorbank, how would I need to connect it?

Fold the capacitors over the board and use some neutral cure silicone as a strain relief.

2 Likes

I cut the legs too short for that when I initally soldered these on… so thats sadly not an option unless I buy new capacitors. Is a separate capacitorbank not possible / not recommended?

edit: i gotta buy 1 at least because the remainder of the broken leg is about 1mm.
but if I were to buy a few new, I would rather make a separate capacitor bank, with a little more capacitance if thats possible.

There’s nothing wrong with soldering on legs long enough to allow you to bend the caps back over the board. And it could save you replacing the one that broke off.

1 Like

Is there anyone making any of these with IMU and pull down resistors? Mine got lost in the mail on its way back from getting pull down resistors installed, and I am looking for a new one to replace it. I am using it in a DIY Onewheel, so an IMU is critical. Space is extremely limited in my compartments, so an external IMU is not preferable.

Hey all, does anyone have any insight on the below, just finished building my CFO2 and it turned on as expected and seems to run perfectly.

However, when I measure resistance and inductance in FOC detection it returns R: 1587.40mOhms and L: 2464.52uH with current control KP = 2.4645 and KI = 1587.4.

If I then go to measure flux linkage the wheel starts to spin and then starts to vibrate at an increasing frequency. (Returns a value for linkage of lambda = 8.782).

I should also note I have tested phase wire continuity, and I know the motor works and pass detection on another controller :thinking: I have also noticed it looks like it reading voltage at ~73 volts… On a 12s battery that currently is actually at 44volts…

A shirt clip of trying to apply 10% duty cycle… Notice the duty cycle bar reading goes crazy.

2 Likes

Are you for sure using the correct firmware?

Did you assemble the CFOC2 yourself? If so, are you positive there are no soldering mistakes?

2 Likes

It came pre flashed I belive (confirmed by @doomy).

It was also all soldered apart from through hole components and FETs. As far as I can tell everything is soldered correctly! (It’s just fluff on top of the DRV… Somehow is got there just for that photo!)

2 Likes

Reflashing generic bootloader in vesc tool will fix the problem.

3 Likes

Thanks Doomy - I will do this now :sweat_smile:

@shaman Hi, I just wanted to ask you one question regarding my still unsolved motor shut down issue. I got one (quite rare) emergency button that switches off all three phases at once. I assume that this button must be a decent way to solve motor shut down at emergency conditions as it completely separates motor from the system. But I was wondering, how FOCer would react if suddenly it felt that there is no motor on wires? How does firmware handle that and is there a chance of hardware failure?

Thanks.

1 Like

Assuming that all 3 motor phase cables get disconnected at the same time, I wouldn’t expect damage.

I’d imagine some kind of fault to be thrown but I’m not sure which one. Honestly this condition needs the good old FAFO(science version) approach top get data.

1 Like

Managed to order 10 v0.9 boards, everything seems good, retouched DRV, but I’m unable to do successful DRV test. Forwards voltage between pos neg is open loop, backwards voltage is about 0.530V on all of the boards. DRV lot number 08ACK3TG4 D6 diode is soldered correctly.
Is that fine? I haven’t powered up the board yet but i’m slightly worried something will get fried :sweat_smile:

It works quite good, thank you Shaman.

5 Likes

It looks like the solder on the motor and battery leads hasn’t really flowed. You sure those connections are good?

1 Like