Cheap FOCer 2 (Open-source, Low-cost, VESC 6 based ESC) (v0.9 Release. Beta testing ongoing)

Hey Flux, thats cool.

So far we have orders for 14 pieces.

If we get over 10pcs and i have to pay the customs duty (which i probably will) the price for a pcb+parts will end up at around 30 - 40$ this does not include heatsink and cables.

I can solder the IMU or all the parts for you if you can’t do it yourself. I don’t charge you anything for it.

Shipping is about 5$ to most of Europe. You can check here:
https://service.post.ch/vsc/ui/sending-type

I will send out the order for jlcpcb and LCSC this Monday the 18 of May please tell me how many you need until then. The cheap FETs are already low in supply, so i hope they will restock or i order alternatives.

UPDATE:

I created a thread in the group buy forum:

1 Like

How many people are running these escs?

Hiii friend i am also interested in this!
I need most of components solder if is posible.like you say ther.
I will be interested in 3 vesc.
I am from spain.
Thank u

1 Like

VESC’s!? It’s time for you to go sit in the corner and think about what you did. :smiley:

5 Likes

Interested in 2 of them.

Perhaps we should start a separate tread or Telegram group for EU group buy?

Good idea, i created a thread in the Group Buy forum.

1 Like

The doc mentions this…

“If you intend to use your FOCer for balancing applications such as a onewheel or unicycle you will have to solder the BMI160 IMU yourself. This is a leadless component which requires a reflow station”

2 Likes

Two built up with the quick parts I got from arrow while waiting for the cheaper parts from lcsc, as well as some heatsinks and such.

Got the IMU working on one and will be building a funwheel when I get the wheel in. Phub-188 motor taking forever to ship…

Also got a case printed: Thanks @NuRxG !

8 Likes

My order for 5 from last week.

4 Likes

Does anyone have a 3D model of this they can share? When I open the step file in the repository if comes in exploded and really messed up, Not sure if the step file is corrupt or something in my software.

Thanks

Be careful when you use the LCSC bom tool, somehow it chose the wrong usb connector:

This is the good one:

2 Likes

I don’t know how it happened, but I got both types of USB connector. It also doubled a number of my parts. I assumed I messed up (and that’s still a distinct possibility). What I definitely should have done is a 1:1 check between the BOM and the order.

@shaman I see we are geographically close, do you have any FOCers with IMUs that you would be willing to sell? I am building a onewheel and would like to avoid the Trampa tax.

1 Like

Beating a dead horse here but @shaman isn’t producing and sellings these controllers, you’d have to buy one from someone with extras on hand since you have to order them in batches of 5 or 10.

3 Likes

ah okay

Are you using all 5 or will you have extras?

Pretty sure you can attach an IMU breakout board to any vesc. The support is baked into the firmware. Here is one such board: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/GY-BMI160-6DOF-BOSCH-Module-6-axis-Acceleration-Gyro-Gravity-Sensor-for-Arduino/253071090295?hash=item3aec366277:g:Bf8AAOSw6hNZfqUP

2 Likes

You technically can, but Flipsky boards don’t do well with it at all.

OH really? Whats the issue specifically with Flipsky and the IMU?

@shaman I was just looking at the JLC board making service, when it gets to the review board it looks like its missing the smd resistors for the ADC ports. Is this normal, user error or due to out of stock? I’m not really sure. I don’t want to hand solder any parts that small. I didnt see them in the hand solder list though?

On a plus note all the electronic parts for 10 sets from JLC / LCSC including shipping is about $200 for me. Shipping for me is cheap though $5 each because Im in Hong Kong.

3 Likes