Boardnamics M1-AT Drive | Helical Steel MTB/AT Gear Drive

Any idea if these fit Kaly trucks?

1 Like

Do Kaly trucks have a square profile like the Trampa or Apex?

1 Like

@BigBen says the hanger profile is 22mm x 22mm with a 3mm radius.

Looks like it

3 Likes

Hm interesting, I think that’s a @Boardnamics Kevin question but it sounds like it might fit on the Apex ones

4 Likes

Post can be empty

2 Likes

Rails widened 30mm, might go the extra so you don’t have to swap to low profile hardware on the gearboxes.
In order to get this to work I think I have to modify the housing like so, then jb weld in a filler piece.

Thinking about maybe a second stage with motor flipping and hell who knows maybe even gear shifting. @vedder you got that covered on the software side right ok cool. I gotcha on that donation someday. Sorry.

40mm. Maybe this mounting plate I design for the BN drive should be more universal so it can be used for mounting to suspension for a kart or other such vehicles.

2 Likes

im confused on what you’re doing here. Running one wheel with two motors?

1 Like

Making adapter plate that lets you mount a BN M1-AT to onewheel rails. If you want to keep the tire centered then you have to widen the frame enough to fit the gearbox on both sides so that is what I am showing, because it would be possible.

Next I will design hub parts to link it all. I need to move to a different thread to take input from you all. My point at the end about making that mounting adapter plate also useful for mounting the gearbox to suspension is a nice idea though.

@boardnamics slight shame that there are not two holes lined up on this axis if you want to simply mount the drives with bolts in a line.

like here

Not that only using two m4 bolts would really be best but it would be nice simple and universal. The weight can be supported by the axle so the bolts are not the only thing holding them, or even what resists torque.

there’s 15 holes, so they worht witht the 3 screws on the gds, if there were 16, das be no buno

unless it’s changed to 4 angle screw thingies, but that’s mroe stuff and more weight

2 Likes

I know that there are good reasons to not have done that but I am only searching for little things like that to point out.

instead of making an adapter plate you could modify and screw the rails directly to the gearbox.
^I don’t really want to do it this way but it would be possible. 0 mods to the gearbox is what I want. Plus the mounting plate being useful as heck. I want it to be adjustable up and down.

I got a cool question that idk if anyone has you yet @Boardnamics but since the hangar profile of apex airs and luna 350 trucks are very similar since Moon made both. And their Truck adapter for moon drives simultaneously fits both apex airs and luna trucks perfectly without modifications. Doesnt that mean that in theory couldnt you use the M1 AT apex air adapter to put your gear drives on luna trucks?

1 Like

There’s no nut needed. You may need to cut the bolts length though if it scratches the Gear casing like mine did.

wat nextgin said,mbs hubs on m1 at doesnt screw on they just slide and sit in the hub which same like u i thought was odd and dangerous but its fine just make sure to push the wheel fully on ur hanger and tighten it down with the lock nut and ur good. Ive taken mbs hubs on m1 to 40 mph with no wobble or stability issues with plenty of throttle headroom to go even higher.

The 5 lock nuts are absolutely necessary.

You can think of the design as having the wheel bolt together as normal, then overly long screws acting like studs for the drive to key into.

You shouldn’t need to cut the screws either. On the ones I tested, they have a good 1mm of clearance. If you over tighten the hubs together then they can scrape

2 Likes

Sorry. I definitely wasn’t clear. Yes nuts used to keep MBS wheels together. I meant no nuts to keep the Gear Drive Star attached to the MBS wheels. With my set, the bolts scrap the housing so I had to cut the length.

4 Likes

Hit the end of the bolts with a flap disk to shorten them until they don’t scrape

3 Likes

I was just replacing my tires to a smaller size and i saw that the wheel mount on one side is badly damaged. The other size looks like its going the same way as well. Could it be that the aluminium mounts are too weak ? @Boardnamics

8 Likes

This is not good…

@Boardnamics Steel wheel adapters soon?

@Deimos tell us everything about your setup please

this is really concerning :frowning:

11 Likes

Maybe he over tightened on several bolts and then rode with a warped hub for some time which would explain the egged out holes

:egg: :fried_egg:

1 Like