Boardnamics M1-AT Drive | Helical Steel MTB/AT Gear Drive

Thanks! I probably still haven’t broken mine in yet, been too busy with other stuff

Nope, no shims. Yeah, but it’s not actually that much force, well within the capabilities of that.

I asked Kevin too and he said he did it this way because the failure mode on steel-steel gears for a grub screw coming loose is very bad. You’re talking full lockup

3 Likes

The force depends on the helical angle and I can’t say what angle is on the bn drive, but I have seen motor shafts pulling out the bell due to the sideway force on other drives, so I was curious.
If somebody is worried, I think it’s not a big deal to get some 8mm shimms and remove the circle clip thou.

That grub screw argument makes definitely sense.

4 Likes

Ya I was just thinking that too

1 Like

Looks like you will need M4x55/60mm the default bolts are already M4x50mm.

2 Likes

Thank you very much for the video @ShutterShock !! I also have oilslick Mbs trucks and it does not fit… How did you file your trucks? Do you think there a risk of removing too much material and damage the truck strength? There is no more paint on mine and it still do not fit.

2 Likes

I tried to design an adapter so that I could use these on Flipsky’s 15.2" DKP trucks. Unfortunately, when I put it together I realized that it would only fit 50xx mm motors :frowning_face:

3 Likes

Would it be possible to grind down that motor clamp to make room for the bigger motor? Might have to drill some new bolt holes in it.

2 Likes

Possibly, I was hoping it would be easier than that :blush: A motor with a 45mm shaft and a big spacer would work as well.

Alternately, I think @moon left enough room on his drives. I just need to break mine down and make a design.

2 Likes

You’re welocme! And the answer is, very carefully lol

I had a carbide cutter bit on my dremel and I just went around slowly taking off stuff until it fit. It really wasn’t the greatest experience, thus they aren’t recommended as highly for use.

Obviously since you’ve already started, you’re probably gonna finish. Just keep at it… It takes a while. Only advice I can really give is try to find the high spots by sliding the adapter on and looking at where it hits

1 Like

Thank you! That is what I did! I slided it in and looked where to grind many times. It finally slided in!

4 Likes

I bought the drivetrain for mbs trucks. It comes with 6384 motors. These motors seem to be too long to me. 6374 would probably be better. The truck hanger is only 5mm from the motors. They are touching the motors when I turn. Should I grind the hangers? Or do I do something wrong?? @Boardnamics @ShutterShock

That’s correct. Pretty sad to see it but a tiny bit must be filed right where it hits. You could also lower the 3 angle adjustment screws 1 notch but they are loctited in so that might be a pain.

2 Likes

It’s actually not that hard to adjust the angle. If you put it down one notch it should be fine, I didn’t want to file that part of my hangers

@JulienB

3 Likes

@boardnamics @ShutterShock Thank you so much for your replies! I did not assemble it but I would rather deassemble and adjust the angle. Can you show me a picture of what I got to do. What is the notch location? I have blue or red loctite to put back in place.

1 Like

If @Boardnamics assembled it, I guess he would know what loctite he used

All you have to do is unscrew the three screws on the backside of the main plate and rotate it down. You shouldn’t even need to take off the wheel.

2 Likes

a hacksaw would do a great job and be pretty easy

Thanks again for your replies!! I did try tyo unscrew the 3 srews but my tool flexes and it wont come off. I will go to the hardware store to buy a better tool today. Did you have to heat the three screws to be able to unscrew them? I am thinking about using solder iron to locally heat the screws. I dont want to break the screws. If you have any hint please tell me! :slight_smile: @Boardnamics @ShutterShock

I installed my own drives, and used blue loctite on those, so not that hard to take out

Not sure what Kevin did on the prebuilts

This likely wouldn’t work very well haha

1 Like

I succeded removing only two screws after the third started to strip. Unfortunatly I am seeing red threadlocker on the screws so I do not think I will be able to remove them. I will email @boardnamics.

2 Likes

After casting dark magic spells (with the help of a vice holding the filed bolts so they are not round anymore) I unscrewed all 6 bolts! @boardnamics Now it is time to reconstruct the gear drives. Thanks @ShutterShock for the video!

2 Likes