Boardnamics M1-AT Drive | Helical Steel MTB/AT Gear Drive

I’ve been running shaft collars for a long while. I like to think I ride pretty aggressively but I haven’t had any pinions come loose. Mine have grub screws instead of clamps though. I also used green loctite (638 @b264 :kissing_heart:) to secure the collar to the pinion/shaft for added support.

Still switching to straights soon though cause my motor can is developing some lateral play that I do not want to worsen… I think that’s the bigger issue honestly. Motor cans do not like the lateral force from helicals.

2 Likes

648 tastes better imo.

1 Like

Pretty good honestly, I ended up retiring the drives for now because of the lateral force was pushing the motor can away from the drive. Gonna switch to straights. For the sake of me putting them on though, didn’t run into any issues afterwards with the actual drives.

3 Likes

I’m having trouble getting the loctite 648 off this pinion gear just using a propane torch and some pliers. Does anybody have any seasoned building experience that may help out?

1 Like

purchase a bearing puller off amazon. Something like this will make your life much easier.

Amazon.com: OriGlam Two Jaws Bearing Puller/Remover, Adjustable Two Jaw Puller Tool, Bearing Puller Tool, Carbon Steel Pump Pulley Remover : Automotive

2 Likes

gear puller + heat = winning

edit: stay in your dremel lane Evan :grin:

1 Like

I already have a couple but neither have the right sizing/geometry to get it off, this one looks more effective.
Thanks gentlemen.

2 Likes

The one thing that always works for me is I put a ton of soldering flux over the end of the axle and heat it up for like 5 minutes with a soldering iron on max temp with a larger tip. It gets it super hot and the pinion slides right off

4 Likes

Torch + pry from underneath with a flathead, always does the trick for me… yours will take a lot of force with all the extra contact area, so a bearing puller might be easier if you can’t move it yourself

Thank you both, great success

2 Likes

Anyone willing to trade their 1:4.60 gears for 1:3.95 gears (unused)

2 Likes

I just had all five hub/wheel bolts break clean off in a hard breaking situation. I’ve previously worn, bent and broken some but never like this.

Last time I replaced the bolts due to wear I swapped to high tensile thinking that would be better, but perhaps worse, less bendy give maybe but I’m not a metal guru. Would appreciate any suggestions here.

@Boardnamics did you end up updating the wheel plate and any tips on best bolts… should I avoid high tensile? Otherwise loving these drives, thanks!

3 Likes

How much space between the wheel and the wheel plate adapter were you running?

@jack.luis has hit this issue before.

Might also want to look into stainless steel

2 Likes

@Boardnamics has new POM adapters that don’t wear your hub screws down

3 Likes

Well I think you were riding it when it happened haha

1 Like

i snapped mine too. its kinda wack. even with good bolts, they still wore down <500mi

Anyone had bolt snapping issues with the POM wheel plates? It should give a little and the bolts won’t be loose in the hole so guess will reduce both wear and snapping

Probably about 10-15 mm bolt sticking out

Thanks for the wisdoms folks

Yes, yes I did lol.

@Grazza I think the more you can reduce the distance from the wheel to the adapter the longer it’ll last. My wheels are right up against the adapter and I haven’t had this issue.

1 Like

@AlexB sheared bolts on his pom adapter just recently

2 Likes

i thought he sheared the entire pom adapter

1 Like