BLDC VS FOC, a discussion

FOC provide smoothe wave for control so make more quieter. Is more precision controlling. FOC is round wave is mean better switch between magnet. Provide higher efficient when control right. Can do other for better control too.

1 Like

I hate to admit it but @Dareno is quite accurate.

As fare as I understand it.

BLDC is raw power resulting in a little more top end speed. More aggressive response to throttle adjustments.
Motor coils see power as all or nothing hens the extra noise.
BLDC kinder on ESC

FOC tames the power varying it going to the motor coils making them work more in harmony resulting in a very little reduction in power but more consistent and useable at varying motor rotations for a smother throttle response. little more efficient consumption and quieter.
FOC kinder on Motors.

4 Likes

I will post some comparaison later,

But this change my life !!!

2 Likes

Fixed

5 Likes

Andy makes a good point. On an mtb when you’re in bindings foc is great for cogless start ups after your fall on your ass.

1 Like

for me BLDC and gear drive makes a sound I would rather hear than my headphones, the sound is so handy since people seem to understand they need to move :slight_smile:

3 Likes

With BLDC your board sounds like a spaceship! Who doesn’t want their board to sound like a spaceship?!?!

8 Likes

:rocket:

1 Like

Im a bit on this side, I need to hear the sound of the motor (or drive) to know where I’m.
Hopefuly, if I ride hub in foc, hybrid mode take the top.
Or the drive (spur or chain).
I didn’t practice enough the etoxx helical to see if when offroaading I still hear the hybrid mode

hard to explain for me :
Like on video games, I can’t play motor game without song focus on the motor (yes, manual mode).

2 Likes

Also, lots of folks have said that BLDC is loud, just remember that loud is relative, BLDC is still pretty quiet. Back in the dark ages (pre-vesc days if you can even imagine such a time :flushed:) we had to use RC car esc’s that shrieked like a banshee when you used your breaks. Now those were loud.

3 Likes

I can´t help myself but i like that sound as well…

2 Likes

Damn guys I don´t know if my first build should be BLDC or in FOC.

Anyone thinks e boards need a certain noise level to be legal one day? Like e cars starting to have such regulations

I often try and imagine a supercar salesman “right so you can have quite version with less torque, or the loud one with more torque” :smile:

2 Likes

That’s easy. BLDC

Moar powah
Moar speed
Moar cool soundz
Moar reliable

4 Likes

Just for reference what do you set your own startup boost to Brian?

I leave that default, on the Ackmaniac version

3 Likes

I honestly would only use FOC if esk8 was illegal where I am, and I’m making a stealth board that looks (and sounds) like a downhill longboard.

If it’s legal, then BLDC all the way.

1 Like

What about starting on steep hills?

What about it? I use BLDC every day. You learn to become one with the machine and you figure out how to ride it with a bit of practice. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

For me it’s because I like the bldc sound, and I can’t be bothered to look into how to set up foc and potentially blow my focboxes.

3 Likes