BIG YELOW - a different kind of build thread

6 Likes

Living the dream! “we never gave up the faith Amigo!”

This sounds like a blast. I know cool places to park around here, you can always charge your board at the house while you stop in for dinner. The only person i know thats a better cook than me is YE OL BALL AND CHAIN

3 Likes

Man you can JUST LIVE where we ended the ride for a few days! THAT IS FANTASTIC!

3 Likes
5 Likes

It’s raining, I’ll be annoying all week, sorry I’m advance :disguised_face:

I lived in a van back in 2009 in Australia. Best 6 months of my life! Wish I could do it all again, but now with three rug rats to care for it is but a distant dream. Good luck with your adventures!

10 Likes

he will live more in 5 minutes stretched out in flat in the back of that van than some peoplewill their entire LIVES!!

2 Likes

can i park next to you ?

Call me little yellow, now i need to aquire crabracoon for my ride,and im going to need a smaller dog

yes for those of you asking ALL OF YOU ,this was my school bus as a kid , they couldnt make it any shorter

5 Likes

TRAILER!! a small ultra light trailer with more solar!(my ieas are fantastic,i checked,im not even that high) you can find a place tp "park it"when not needed ,would be expandable solar when parked too(im not jellous at all) little yellow cant tow anything

Starlink dish mounted. I’m going to leave it mounted like this all the time. If I’m doing a long drive I’ll probably take it off. It disconnects from the roof in about 2 seconds.

Next step is hacking together a 12v to 48v up regulator and Poe injector so that I can run this off 12v.

6 Likes

so can you make money with an advertising wrap and a digital sign?

imagine skyarts face on a wrap advertising the new board and dj chickenstrips on a digital sign on top “fuck around and find out! come on down to angry Kev’s tecnorators! we are insane!!”

you could make BANK!

1 Like

Big van update.

• Built a new 280ah lifepo4 battery to replace the 100ah battleborn. Bought grade a cells from 18650batterystore and a smart bms from overkill solar (presoldered Llt basically). $750 all in for 280ah - less than a single 100ah battleborn. I did not realize these needed top balancing before install so I had to buy a cheap power supply to top balance the cells after I put it together.

• Added an AC to 100a DC charger

• Installed a fancy connection bonding router for bulletproof internet anywhere I go. No checking different connections/ networks. I just get online and this thing does all the work without me thinking about it.

• starlink installed and deleted the starlink 110v router, instead using a 48v converter and POE injector to power the dish. This brings the power usage down from around 60w to more like 30w continuous, which is a huge saving when you are penny pinching watts and planning to be in cloudy/rainy places occasionally.

I also learned to how to crimp Ethernet connectors. I love YouTube. I’ve learned so much from people sharing videos on van stuff/batteries/etc.

Combining internet connections, starlink + att + T-Mobile. Super reliable connection so i don’t drop off zoom calls unexpectedly.

12 Likes

2 Likes

Love keeping track of what you’re doing here. Making room for the Lacroix was nicely executed. I know that an external carrier isn’t what would work for your use case, but I put in a lot of DIY effort to so that we could carry a board and my wife’s scooter with us. The Stowaway was bought use after a rear end collision to the previous owners vehicle destroyed the swing away frame but left the box intact. I built a sliding platform that couples to a Kuat Pivot swing away mount so that the box fits very close to the van doors for travel, but then swings past 90 AND slides out more than 12” when we want to open up. I can actually carry the scooter and at least one board inside the van (boards under the bed and scooter crossways behind it) and move what they displace into the box if we want.

8 Likes

This is also a fantastic solution also. Nice looking van you got there!

3 Likes

From the internets…

4 Likes

Hey that looks kinda familiar

Living that van life with 12 boards and a dyno loaded up for esk8 con :sweat_smile: I drew the short straw and so I am making the drive from Portland to Vegas and back :skull:

10 Likes

I love the bamboo work in the hoytmobile, and that chest fridge/freezer. Those things are so nice.

5 Likes

Photo dump - finally got out of California.

Camping on highway 1

This is my kitchen and office.

The mobile work station

Chilling in the forest with friends

Working in stealth mode because I’m in a parking lot I thought I might get kicked out of

Vancouver Poutine. Hell yeah

I’ll see you guys at Carve

9 Likes