(Solved) Motor pulley gear stuck

Well I finally got my board set up and when going for a test ride, the gear appears to have pulled in on the motor shaft too far up, past the start of the flattened groove. Now the gear appears to be wedged on and won’t remove. I tried using a gear puller but it just bends the gear wall.

Has anyone encountered this? Pics incoming.

1 Like

Use some WD40, set up the motor and mount on a vice type clamp system and hammer the shaft of the motor until the motor shaft is forced out

2 Likes

Ah, so a vice is my only option then it seems…

I sadly do not have a vice, but will start looking around the local classified sections for one.

1 Like

You don’t need a vice. You can leave the mount bolted to the truck and just hammer it from there. I’ve done it before with my dickyho mounts and they hold fine, just kinda sketch

1 Like

Oh, I see what you are saying. My challenge is that I cannot remove the motor screws because the gear pulley is covering them. I fear I have gotten myself into an irreversible bind. (I don’t think a vice will work either due to clearance.)

Your worst case senario is to use a gear puller.

https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-54150-Battery-Terminal-Puller/dp/B000I14RY6

This can get under it. If it can’t, you can always resort to cutting 2 slots into the pulley with a dremel blade or equivelent for the puller to grab.

i used one like this. I cannot get it under the gear due to clearance, so when I put it on the top end, it just bent the gear wall.

The gear is already kind of destroyed so take a hacksaw or dremel and just 2 slots into the middle of the gear and use that.

1 Like

No, the point is that you want the motor mount on. When you hammer the shaft of the motor, it will push everything towards the mount. The shaft will keep going through but the pulley will get stuck & stay behind because of the mount

Does the pulley have set screws?
If it does you could try the puller this way.

1 Like

What? No don’t do that unless you want to risk bending a mount too. Puller is the safest here and you lose the pulley at worst.

3 Likes

Yall never had a real stuck pulley with those methods. I mushroomed the end of a 8mm steel motor shaft with a puller because it was so stuck. Had to turn down the end of the shaft again after.

1 Like

I do it all the time. I’ve put my motor mounts through very heavy abuse. The dickyho mounts can handle it, easy.

Love this idea, but my pulley does not have screws on opposite ends.

1 Like

I’m sure it works in your case but try this if you want: take 15mm pulley with keyway, slather the entire thing, i mean SOAK the keyway and inside with loctite 638 retaining, then take both set screws and crank them down until you round off both hex keys. Let sit 2 days, now try to pull that pulley off your way. It will take roughly 1.8 tons of force just to break free the locktite and you also need to shear off both set screws, so probably need about 2.5-3 tons of lateral force on the motor mount. Good luck :+1:

2 Likes

Ah that’s true. But I’ve forgot to mention my second tactic; since I didn’t think his case was bad enough. But when I have “stuck” enough pulleys I just jam a wrench between the pulley and motor, and hammer that bitch. That gets anything off.

(I refuse to spend more $ on skateboard tools)

I did it! Wow! Wound up using a combination of several methods.

First, I applied 3-In-One oil into the empty bored holes in the pulley (for the screw clamps). Then I screwed in socket cap screws into the in their place. Next I wrapped the grear in a towel and then grasped the motor and the toweled gear in each hand and twisted in a loosening direction.

The oil eventually got in there and let me rotate the pulley off. I can’t believe I got it off! Thank you, all, for your support!

10 Likes

:joy: you should see the poor motor I did this to once where I ripped the motor shaft out of the can by force. Since then I pull pulleys only by pressing the shaft lol

1 Like