Battery amps vs motor amps vs voltage

I’m not sure any of that possible initial spike in motor current “gets through” the ESC’s current limiting and whether the motor current spike if present) would remain at the same level even though the gearing is changed in the above two examples.

I don’t know enough about an esk8 setup to answer this. You are very right about battery voltage sag though. The internal resistance of each cell causes an internal voltage drop that increases as more current is drawn.

You know those big electrolytic caps that keep killing antisparks (and causing sparks in the first place) they make sure the current through the battery does not spike as described.

The TOTAL voltage sag is higher on more cells in series BUT the sag PER CELL is the same regardless of configuration for the same power levels, so the excursion on each individual cell is the same.

Bottom line, higher s count configuration is always better, so long as your electronics can handle it.

5 Likes

200 motor amps from standstill would most likely start at 2-3 battery amps and ramp up from there as you speed up.
The real sag happens the higher up you go in speed under load, since you increase the volts that get to the motor, and in consequence the total power (W).

Now, do you want to sag from 42v to 33v or from 50.4v to 42v?

There’s efficiency to calculate as well… a cable “rated for 100A” can carry a bit over 5000W at 50.4v, or 4200W at 42v. Exact same heat, resistance, induction, flying pidgeon losses in both scenarios

3 Likes

hmmm i was sure those caps were there to prevent current inconsistency (due to resistance differential between the s groups and between + and - because of the long wires) to dammage the ESC.
I guess it works in both sense, never thought about it before.

i saw some small escs like makerx or maytech ones doesn’t have the caps, do they compensate in an other way or do they just table on low current/less surges ?

They have tons of ceramic caps in there. Capacity does differ between esc makers but it’s always there and the higher the better (until it fries antisparks)

3 Likes

So 12s1p will have the same load on individual cells as 3s4p?

4 Likes

Yes, about so for the same output power.

5 Likes

I am still eagerly waiting on your esc!

2 Likes

I tweaked this thing a bit more. Now it’s got even more parameters. :stuck_out_tongue:
now you can adjust for each board kv, gearing, wheel diameter, and some other things and see torque to ground vs speed.

cc @computers

9 Likes

updated with more params. fub, effeciency, per board battery and motor amps, …

please note that motor amps is total so multiply by number of motors.

[ desmos doesn’t let me update an original shared url, makes a new one for changes. lame. ]

4 Likes

Duh why I missed again this excellent thread :man_facepalming:t5:

Thank you @fessyfoo looks awesome!

2 Likes

latest. added a rudimentary readme section.

3 Likes

This tool is awesome! Definitely gonna use this to compare different setups to get an idea of how different they’d feel.

Haters gonna hate :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

based on the convo in that other thread. I still need to refactor this to take into account IR of the motors, and a torque/amps equation that factors that in will likely diverge at that point based on voltage. ( or maybe not… maybe only changes to motor internal resistance change it. )

1 Like