Battery Amps, Motor Amps and Duty Cycle... Please Explain

Oh…soooooo you must totally still have an awesome relationship with the guy.
Rip to info

1 Like

Very well put thankyou for simpleton translation

I have shared the historical vomit many times on the forum. Seek and ye shall find.

2 Likes

Great 'splaining. Thanks for that.

Even simpler, consider volts a big tank of water (electrical pressure?) and amps how quickly you can flow that water. Your motors in this case are the faucet.

4 Likes
3 Likes

Perfect assist! Always has been the way I’ve been taught in intro ee classes. I was trying to analogize an esc. I guess that would be the control system of a hydroelectric dam? Not sure if that really applies.

1 Like

I like your description and would not change a thing about it.
analogies are hard with tech and in general i attempt to avoid if possible. as you are well aware from experience - when introducing a topic such as energy it’s near impossible though

2 Likes

More like 8V :P.
Most kids in robotics don’t even understand this, they’re so used to brushed shit they used in FRC and other competitions in high school that they think motor current == battery current, which is NOT the case.
The reason for this is because the controller actually turns the motor on for a short period of time and then off. The current that flows through the motor stays there because inductors resist changes in current.

God, those pieces of absolute shit controllers didn’t even have synchronous rectification!

4 Likes

wait what happened??
Deckoz 2.0?

Not on that scale, but equally retarded.

2 Likes

So which amps gives burn outs?

All of the amps

3 Likes

The more amps :+1:

20200417_093717

6 Likes

Soooo I had a very good question related to phase amps and went doing some reading on ES !

From my understanding Motor phase amp = torque from zero to mid speed and Battery amp = torque from mid to top speed

So burnout comes from phase amps. Also the bigger the battery amps, the easier it is to burst phase amps.

Nothing new under the sun however I needed a refresh : do we agree that 100% of the phase current go as positive and negative through 2 phases while the last one stands still during cycle, and position alternate/overlap continuously ?

So the ESC effectively burst phase current through each phase (while another phase returns the burst to ESC) ?

1 Like

There is 1 concise Question that I must realize the answer to if it is the last thing I do! If anyone can pull this Sword out of the proverbial Stone, If anyone can tell me the answer to this question, You are truly the ESK8 Riddle Master, and I will forever be grateful for your Supreme Intellectual Excellence!!!

THE QUESTION:
If I use a “FOC” ESC to control 1 Hub Motor rated at 80 amps and 50 volts maximum, and I have a 50 volt Max Battery pack, how many Amps Maximum (Surge) should my Battery pack be able to supply so that my Hub Motor will have all the power it needs for its maximum performance?

It would be very helpful if you provided your battery specs.

Samsung 30Q 18650’s with 4.2 volt max and 3000mah. 12S?P configuration…

1 Like

Just for the first, say,10 seconds of the ride, with 12S configuration Battery Pack, How many fully-charged, brand new, Samsung 30Q’s would it take in Parallel to fully utilize the capability of 1 Hub Motor which is rated for 80Amps at 50 Volts?

4p of 30qs is 80A max

(20A per parallel group)

It is independent of voltage (10s vs 12s), they can both provide the same maximum “safe” amperage when the parallel groups and cell type are the same.

With 12s (Volts) you will generally send less amps (Current) for any given amount of power (Watts) when compared to 10s because:

Power = Current * Voltage

2 Likes