Bad Range? Settings tweak?

15 was too low. 25 was better, but was missing a bit of power. Will increase until I have the power I want, but still not getting good range even at those low battery amps

1 Like

That’s useful information.

I personally would expect to get about 8 - 10 miles (12 - 16km) from that.

Maybe you just need more battery. How would you describe your riding style? Do you use the motors as a ski lift or as an afterburner?

searching this topic I don’t think this has been mentioned yet… have you checked your bearings? if bearings are bad enough I’ve had them cut my range down by up to ~60%

maybe op needs to go on a diet

what do you suggest for people who do both?

Hahah I did gain 20 pounds. But I’m sitting at 16% body fat. 190 is still a heavy load, though

I definitely do both haha

1 Like

I was also thinking about that, but I checked bearings as I put the build together. I’m probably going to have to check my motor bearings

you can test that by hand-turning the motor without the drivetrain engaged (belt/chain/gear off)

I did before actually, and they weren’t perfect, but certainly not bad enough to change.

I’m just suggesting these things because 90% of my range issues that aren’t attributed to my hard riding style can be traced Back to hardware issues, or user error in software.

Yeah, that’s why I created the post. I am certainly fallible and don’t know the ins and outs of the software nearly as well as some of the people on here.

I’m 190 pounds and ride like a maniac, but was still expecting a bit more range out of this setup.

I mean, I’m going to mod the build so that I can take my MTN board packs and use them as range extenders. Thank skatan I made them modular.

I’m encountering a similar issue with my build, so I’m narrowing it down every ride and replacing and repairing and cleaning parts as I find issues. It’s turned into a sort of “maintenance” and I still don’t get the range I expect.

Sometimes you just gotta go slow and push off more to get the range you want. High speeds and crazy cornering will take many Wh from you. Hard riding has downsides.

Yeah I think I just got my hopes up with the graphene lipos. I’ll probably just go with my range extenders haha

1 Like

Graphene just allows for better discharge, and it doesn’t do squat for capacity or efficiency. If you switch out to regular thane wheels I’m guessing you can gain 20-30% range from better rolling resistance, but there’s not much you can do about capacity without switching batteries.

1 Like

@frankthedragon I know they generally don’t have crazy voltage sag like normal lipos, so set the voltage cutoff start a little lower. That’s why I was hoping to get a bit extra range.

I just took the board apart today and made it so that I can use my Mountainboard packs on my street setup, which will help greatly.

As far as the wheels, another guy who is using them told me that once the center tread smoothed out, he saw about a 25% increase in range

What does that total? 12S1P of 5000mah? I’d expect maybe 10-15kms max out of that on pneumies.

1 Like

They aren’t pneumatic, though.

I would not lower cutoffs to increase range, because you will likely end up junking your cells.

add 25% to that then