Assembling a BLDC motor [serious]

All the esk8 motors I have worked on used:

two 688ZZ bearings, 8mm⌀ x 16mm⌀ x 5mm
one 698ZZ bearing, 8mm⌀ x 19mm⌀ x 6mm

The last ones I obtained from here:

However, not all motors are the same.

5 Likes

Love it. Something I’ve wondered about for a while now.

7 Likes

If you live in Sunny Southern California and you use your board solely as a toy instead of as a transportation tool, you can probably safely skip all the steps involving oil.

The oil is to help extend bearing longevity with wet operation.

9 Likes

What bearing oil do you use ?

Why not use RS (rubber sealed) bearings and avoid the oil mess?

Also no issue with the board dripping oil?

3 Likes

4 Likes

Haven’t tried it. If you try it, let us know :slight_smile:

Not that I’m aware of. I’m not cleaning the streets with a toothbrush, either :rofl:

8 Likes

I’ve used them since forever, no issues and they seem to keep going

But not all RS bearings are made the same, for example, in my “new” TB bearings, they do ship with them, but they are fairly noisy, must have between 500 and 1000 km on them, if i were to guess I’d say they are either using bearings with a not so good seal or using the low friction variant that doesn’t seal so well

As soon as I have time they will be swapped to SKF ones that will probably outlast the motor

My issue with the oil would be dripping inside and making a mess while the board is not being used

2 Likes

Do you have a link to the good bearings?

1 Like

The oil is optional.

1 Like

Great write up Brian

4 Likes

Bookmaked 10billgordon

2 Likes

Any from the 1st class industrial brands such as SKF, NSK, Nacchi, Schaeffler and NTN

For SKF the suffix should be 2RS1, 2RS2, 2RSH, don’t get the 2RSL or 2RST, these are the low friction ones that don’t seal as good

Also, since you are a fan of waterproofing, you could try to find them with the W prefix for stainless construction

For example, a wheel bearing with the proper seal and made of stainless would be W 608-2RS1

And also I would recommend buying for a reputable source since there is ton of fakes out there

https://www.skf.com/us/products/rolling-bearings/ball-bearings/deep-groove-ball-bearings/productid-W%20608-2RS1

7 Likes

Where did you get those spacers/circlip? I am currenly looking to aquire some.

1 Like

The circlip is from amazon, the 8mm copper washer is from amazon, the bronze spacer was on this motor or another one, the steel washer is a skateboard speed ring.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B013G215SO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LZBCJHE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07S4BL118/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Those thin bronze washers are the most useful for this, but I don’t have a handy source for them. Don’t lose them when you remove them from motors.

You need to adjust the height to match so it holds the can as tight as possible so you don’t get clunking noises while in operation.

2 Likes

Thanks a lot, any tips on how to select the right circlip dimension? I guess it depends on the motor?

All of these parts are for 8mm shafts.

Motors with a 10mm shaft may be all different sized washers, bearings, and circlips.

1 Like

Lol I will be using the motor you have daily. just found this. I definitely sent my motors to the right Guru

2 Likes

Can anyone give me the bearings used in cheap 50xx motors?

Hmm might be the same, given the motor I’m looking at has a 8mm shaft.

I was also kind of wondering about the 50mm motors with 6mm shafts.

-general info-

Bearing Naming Convention / Designation / Nomenclature:

Generally:

The designations of most SKF rolling bearings follow a system that may consist of a basic designation with or without one or more prefixes and/or suffixes

1st Digit Code Bearing type
0 Double row angular contact ball bearing
1 Self-aligning ball bearing
2 Spherical roller bearing, spherical roller thrust bearing
3 Tapered roller bearing
4 Double row deep groove ball bearing
5 Thrust ball bearing
6 Single row deep groove ball bearing
7 Single row angular contact ball bearing
8 Cylindrical roller thrust bearing
C CARB toroidal roller bearing
N Cylindrical roller bearing. Two or more letters are used to identify the number of the rows or the configuration of the flanges, e.g. NJ, NU, NUP, NN, NNU, NNCF
QJ Four-point contact ball bearing
T Tapered roller bearing in accordance with ISO 355

Suffixes External design (seals, snap ring groove, etc.)
-RS1, -2RS1 Contact seal, NBR, on one or both sides
-RSH2, -2RSH2 Contact seal, FKM, on one or both sides
-RSL, -2RSL Low-friction seal, NBR, on one or both sides
-RST, -2RST Low-friction seal, NBR, on one or both sides
-RZ, -2RZ Non-contact seal, NBR, on one or both sides
-Z, -2Z Shield on one or both sides

i.e.
628/8-2Z
6 - Single row deep groove ball bearing
28 - width/height series code, 16mm OD x 5mm width
/8 - bore diameter, 8mm bore
2Z - shield on both sides

*many manufacturers do things slightly differently. just enough to be confusing. but the above is a good start

8 Likes