Arythmia 4WD - Boundmotor Octopus

Yep, thats right, i just didn’t think that it mattered where the break happened.

Evan makes a good point so, in theory it should not matter as long as your loopkey has the resistor then it will slow the in rush. Makes sense to me.

In a nutshell, the advantage of having it is that it protects your battery, but if you ever say brake/accelerate hard enough to beyond the limits of your BMS’s amperage rating you run the risk of losing power. So, most would rather damage the battery a little bit than run the risk of crashing at a bad time. Most recently I think @haven had a bad crash due to this.

3 Likes

Discharge is better handled within the vesc/vesc setting arena, where you can specify based on your pack config, not the hard window specified by the BMS.

Another reason is that a BMS that can handle 80A is a lot bigger and more expensive than the 20A ones we employ and bypass.

3 Likes

Yeah, I was running 50a per side thru my 60a LLT BMS. Worked fine for a while, but one night I floored it up a hill just enough that it must’ve gone over the limit, and it cut out. My knee still ain’t the same…

2 Likes

Thanx for that. It’s reduced my workload of things i need to do and now. I dont need anymore chances of eating shit than i currently have so its a bit of a no brainer.

Appreciated.

2 Likes

There’s many discussion scattered around the forum about this. Just don’t discharge through bms on esk8. It’s not safe.

1 Like

It can be safe but it all depends on the deets

giphy

1 Like

My knee is still fucked from my stupid 13mph fall. It do be like that. Can’t run, not that it hurts but it feels so weird.

So on a 4wd build should it be caution x 2?

1 Like

Don’t discharge through a BMS, and don’t ever let the battery die, and you’ll be fine.

1 Like

I had a spare bit of time this morning and whipped up the loop key harness…

naturally, i had to change the position so one of the wires id already cut was too effing short

Quick fix and sorted it out… sorted the internal connection lengths and how it can be detached easily if needed…

Closer by degrees

5 Likes

Holy shit that’s a lot of antispark xt90s :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Holy crapola. I’d have soldered almost all of those… just one XT90 on the battery and another for the loopkey

1 Like

As you’d made it though, be sure to tie string around all those connectors so they don’t vibrate apart in there.

Yep. While i dont trust the 120A fuses. The change of direction from the antisparks i had (sadly necessary) meant i didnt have a lot of choice.

The plan is to use this setup to get it up and running and then take my time setting up the antisparks I’ll then have a redundancy loop key in case of switch failure.

Was planning hot glue… string?

1 Like

Geez man, don’t you wanna ride this thing? Gonna be time to replace the pack by time you get it on the street.

1 Like

String does the job and can be easily removed later when needed

Cable ties work too but the way yours is set up, I’d use small string.

You just want to make sure the XT connectors don’t vibrate apart, which I’ve had happen on multiple occasions. Even fat XT90 ones.

1 Like

So bad, october/xmas was the build wondow… that slammed on my nuts some time ago… the antisparks consumed some months, redirection has taken a month, the loop key was a last minute addition so i didnt have to wait for the bew antisparks.

1 Like