Archived: the OG noob question thread! šŸ˜€

Can be done, but itā€™s risky - Thereā€™s a good chance youā€™ll bellmouth the hole (sides not parallel anymore) or accidentally make it not-round or oversize.

If youā€™ve got a set of calipers, or even better a snap gauge and micrometer, then you at least wonā€™t be working blind.

If I were going to do it, Iā€™d use a bearing scraper rather than abrasives as well, it allows more fine control of where the material is being removed from.

1 Like

Cheers bro. Iā€™ve hit up MBS so Iā€™m gonna wait to hear back from them before I go any further. Donā€™t have a need for any more expensive paperweights.

1 Like

Best of luck to you!

If MBS isnā€™t helpful, Iā€™d recommend asking around your local machine shop (if youā€™ve got one), itā€™s a pretty simple thing for them to do and shouldnā€™t be very expensive. Certainly cheaper than a fresh set of wheels.

1 Like

@RyEnd

So without JB weld iā€™m definitely fucked. I put something between the clamp and truck and moved it a bit but it slipped to the previous hole and extended it to a bigger Crater. Guess iā€™m gonna buy a new clamp or new mounts altogether.

This is the most known tolerance issue with these hubs unfortunately. Hopefully Joel helps you out, mbs is good people.

2 Likes

Does this BMS wiring diagram look correct?

Iā€™ll be wiring it in a way that it will have to be on (loop key plugged in) to be able to charge it. Connecting it to the positive wire coming off the loop key (not directly to the battery)

Is there any concern with doing that?

So I am currently in the works of a 2wd powered by TB 6374ā€™s on a gear drive. I am debating making it a 4wd setup here is a pro/con list of what I know from upgrading.

Pros:
Better torque
Better battery life as each motor works less
Less chance of overheating
Better top speed?

Cons:
Cost
Weight (is it really an issue with the extra power?)

One question I have is what is the feasibility of adding the other set later on or is it just easier to build all at once? Iā€™m not in much of a rush. Also if I were to upgrade later to tb 6380ā€™s would it be ok to put them together or should all 4 motors be the same size?

I had the same problem using AliExpress bearings. I thought maybe MBS bearings are a better fit and then went fuck it. I hammered them in.

They roll smoothly so hereā€™s hoping itā€™ll be fine.

1 Like

From the pros list agree with most of those, however the better battery life is probably negligible if you are drawing 400W into one motor or you are drawing 100W each into 4 motors itā€™s the same (for the most part). There is loss as heat in the motor and since the motors would be drawing 1/4 the total power needed there will be some efficiency gain there but I wouldnā€™t expect it to be huge. Regarding top speed it will also be a negligible change, if a single motor canā€™t get to full speed because it lacks the torque then you would eliminate that problem but otherwise the speed (velocity) is a product of the motor kv, the voltage, gearing/pulley ratio, and wheel size (more motors is more torque so higher acceleration if thatā€™s what you mean by ā€œspeedā€)

For the Cons list I have two opinions to add :smiley:
Weight is an issue if you plan to use the thing for commuting and/or have to carry it up or down stairs, the things with a single drive and big ass battery are already super heavy so youā€™re adding to thatā€¦ I wouldnā€™t consider this an issue for the motors at all but for personal use of the thing as a commuter board it is impractical, if you are just throwing it in a car from the garage and taking it to a trail this probably is a non-issue.
The other con I would add is every component you add is another potential point of failure, more parts == more parts that will eventually fail and more likely any given one fails at any point in time.

Regarding the question of adding on later I donā€™t see any issue with that if you have the space but will have to add extra parallel connections off the battery main lead so maybe worth having those in place in advance and just tape them off. Regarding mixed motor types for the most part it should be fine if each motor is using current control mode they will all be pushing based on throttle input.

Dawg ill get 2 of them from you if you want to hit the MOQ? Maybe start a little group buy? Maybe just a poll for feelers?

I imagine it would cost nearly $50 to ship two of them to you in Canada, so youā€™d be looking at something like $110/motor.

Iā€™ll probably end up running a GB for these and the MT6396 motors in January.

Id definitely dip my head into either this or the 6396 motor GB.

@Papa_Ocean @wafflejock 4WD has 1/2 the total heat losses as 2WD for the same acceleration or constant speed. with 4WD, each motor will be generating 1/4th as much heating compared to 2WD, since there will be half as much motor current for the same performance & heating increases at the square of the current. or if you think of switching from 4WD to 2WD, you have to double the motor current per motor for the same performance, which quadruples the heating per motor, or twice as much heat in total generated overall since thereā€™s half as many motors.

Donā€™t you have a boosted

& v2 hummie hubs

Put them on the boosted

1 Like

it would be more efficient than either alone. either 8S for the hummies or 120mm tires on the boosted motors would match the 2 top speeds at 12S.

Right loss will be reduced but the actual energy being used to push you up to speed and push air out of the way is the same energy used, losses reduced but watts put into work moving you up to speed and fighting friction is the same.

Some gain in range yes but nothing near double.

@wafflejock this is 2wd vs 4wd with half the motor current per motorā€¦

^bottom left chart shows the same performance, total heat is half in the bottom middle chart (4wd), efficiency is increased in the top left chart (4wd), electrical watts reduced for the same mechanical watts in the upper center chart (4wd), total battery current slightly reduced in the bottom right chart (4wd)

Hmmā€¦ think we are talking past each other here or at least youā€™re not seeing what Iā€™m sayingā€¦ The electrical efficiency will be better you will be reducing your losses by going with more motors driving things, Iā€™m not arguing against thatā€¦ Iā€™m saying the majority of the energy goes into the force used to move you and your board and not into heating up your motors. The motors are already in the area of 80% or better in efficiency in converting electrical energy into mechanical power, and any gains you are getting then are in reducing that 10-20% lost as heat, if you cut it in half you have saved 5-10% or get 5-10% better range overall.