Archived: the OG noob question thread! šŸ˜€

If you want a good prebuilt esk8, you get a Metroboard X or a @longhairedboy custom board, or a LaCroix board.

Definitely an Evolve, a Meepo, Ownboard, Raptor 2.X these are things you do NOT buy.

2 Likes

yeah but just look at it, looks like it got smacked with the ugly stick

at the end of the day if it wasnt diy that u fucked it

but even then I bet most over power their motors the first time round or something of the such , but i do wish i just did it from the gate myself

Iā€™ll take ugly if it works

Any working ugly skate goes faster AND further than any broken svelte skate

4 Likes

ahh for me if it breaks ill throw a pair of the torque boards set on thier and we back in buisiness baby !

maytech 90mm hub motors look pretty solid aswell I just wish they where cnc

You will get much better performance from TB direct drive and real polyurethane longboard wheels than you will get from the Raptor hubs.

4 Likes

Literally anything will be better than the R2 hubs. Please please please donā€™t buy hubs again. Direct drive or throw some cans mounted off the back is gonna be the best solution. Please donā€™t let us all continue to advise you to throw those hubs into the ocean, everyone here will say exactly the same

2 Likes

Whereā€™s the right place to ask for help explaining vesc wand settings? I have a log that seems to demonstrate strange behavior. Steady duty cycle and on/off motor amps. I was cruising low speed in the dark and noticed some real weird on/off throttle behavior. I did my best to keep the throttle completely still. The board was surging on/off with light throttle. I can see what I imagine is evidence of this on the log. Low 20% range duty cycle and motor amps alternate to 0.0. Is this normal and I just need to read more?

I recently installed a flipsky VX2 from a VX1 which was a ppm to uArt change. This is definitely a new development with the board.

1 Like

Your VX1 was also set up to run via UART

1 Like

The only thing I can think of off the top of my head is if youā€™re right at the edge of the throttle deadzone (very near the neutral position), then itā€™s possible for any slight jitter in the system to cause the vesc to go in and out of neutral. If thatā€™s the case, just giving it a little more throttle should get away from the deadzone and you should be fine.

1 Like

Shit really? The vx2 instructions showed it connected to a different port. Would have to look at the board again but assumed was a move from ppm to uart.

For instance

1 Like

Yeah the flipsky has a few uart ports on it. The one the vx1 reciever was plugged into was actually designed for that specific receiver to plug into

1 Like

as far as iā€™m aware 40t are actually betterā€¦ i donā€™t have graphs or proof, but i have good sources that tell me p42 actually heat up way to fast, especially in a power hungry board like a mtb. Companies actually make small revisions without saying, as you can see mooch does second tests after a year or two and thatā€™s not coincidence. 40t used to be quite bad actually, they were first rated at 20A but revisions made them much better. p42 have had few revivions and the only way they are better that 40t is because molicell actually push them to the limit. i have a 12s6p p42a going into my boardā€¦ i wish i had gone with 40t tbh even though i havnā€™t tested either yet/
i donā€™t think iā€™ll be dissapointed but iā€™m scared to see how hot they get, especially in summer and also their lifespan over the years. I would say 40t is better but again i have to physical proof, only some secret sources
thatā€™s my 2c :wink:

2 Likes

I donā€™t know how accurate it is but the values make sense to me.
Great work!

2 Likes

Welp, I hope this thread helped a lot of folks.

Looks like all good things must come to an end eventually. Fear not, a trusty replacement will be around soon :slight_smile:

11 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 3 days. New replies are no longer allowed.

4 Likes