3D Printing Discussions, Questions and Debugging

cheers I’m having a look at where to find them in prusa

Edit: coasting doesn’t exist, and I already have the equivalent of z hop off (I think anyway)

1 Like

They’re definitely different settings but I’m not sure what prusa calls it. Coasting is great about hiding stringing even if it is still happening though because it travels over already printed areas instead of gaps.

1 Like

Depending on how long you’ve had that spool of PETG, and how big the desiccant packs are, you might want to try drying the filament just in case. The little desiccant packs that come with most spools of filament aren’t that big and will saturate with moisture at some point.

For my more moisture-sensitive filaments I have a makeshift dry-box based on an old ammo can, with a 1-lb bag of desiccant at the bottom to keep everything bone dry. I regenerate the desiccant bag about once a year.

2 Likes

Sounds fairly reasonable, I do stash as many desiccant packs as I can in there (I do regular covid tests for a medical study and each one comes with a little pack) but I’ve been putting off just buying a big big and a few hundred grams of the colour changing stuff

Oh yes I have that on, I’m a big fan. For prusa it’s called avoid perimeter crossings, and you can tell it to avoid crossing unless the alternative travel action would be X mm or Y% longer. Mine had it set to like 50000mm just so it never crosses if possible

1 Like

My CR-10S is pretty aggressively modified, so YMMV, but here

There’s low likelihood that plugging in all my numbers into your printer will actually work for you. A better way is to go here https://teachingtechyt.github.io/calibration.html#intro (props to @DeadLightning) and run a thorough calibration. Highly highly worth the time, and it doesn’t even take that long. Printer x filament combo is too unique to use someone else’s numbers in and go

1 Like

Thanks, my printer print wonderfully with everything (I’ve been printing since 2015). My only problem isw with the tpu filament i have keeps getting stuck and not extruding. I’ll take a good look at these settings to see if i have something on that would screw it up.

Thanks again.

I have a vague question about fusion 360. I’m building a vesc enclosure and earlier I was able to place an XT90 mount to one of the sides (or face) of the enclosure and then using meshmixer I was able to merge them to have a built in XT90 mount. When I did it the 1st time and I imported the xt90 .stl into my enclosure project it actually cut the hole where the mount goes through the side of the enclosure.

I now want to move the connector to the side and now I can’t figure out what I did to make it cut the proper hole through the side, now when I move it it leaves the wall in place blocking the hole. How did I do it the 1st time? Hopefully this makes sense.

First thing to do when importing an STL is to convert it from “mesh to b-rep” in the mesh tools.
This turns the mesh into a solid body.

From there you can drag it whereever you like so that it intersects the enclosure and then use the the Combine tool in the Solids tab. Make sure to use the “cut” and not the “join”, so that the the connector will effectively cutout the shape within your selected body

3 Likes

Thanks so much, I was able to finish it up and its printing now. I guess I didnt need to use MeshMixer after all, maybe the guide I was refencing was for an older version of fusion 360. This was the end result. Enclosure for a Haero Bro with a Stormcore and Radian heat sink.

4 Likes

Who can print me a batwing puck shell? Will pay of course!

1 Like

Just saw this video, thought it might be useful to some. I never knew about this setting in cura.

Spent a couple hours and finally got Unified Bed Leveling working… hope it helps my first layers :crossed_fingers:

10 Likes

@Venom121212

@glyphiks did you use supports?

1 Like

That looks like over extrusion or cooling issues to me. @Scepterr and @poastoast are good tags too.

the bubbles on the underside are from the glass bed pattern, just FIY

1 Like

Nah i think i just let that one bridge

1 Like

It’s more the outer wall being bulgy and inconsistent that speaks to me

From the underside pic? That might be because i took off the brim and smoothed off the edges with a lighter.

1 Like

0.2 layer height
1.2mm wall thickness

1 Like