3D Printing Discussions, Questions and Debugging

This should work perfect. Try to get the top layer leveled as much as possible and then sand to your desired finish.

2 Likes

Ok after trying quite a few different settings here are my results:

From left to right settings changed were:

1. Where I started from, rectilinear, 0.2 top spacing, 2 interface layers, interface pattern spacing 0.3, interface loops enabled?
  2. 0.15 top spacing, 3 interface layers, interface pattern spacing 0, interface loops disabled
  3. 0.1 top spacing, rest unchanged, looks good - hard to remove
  4. Tried ironing, didn’t turn out great, rest unchanged
  5. Switched to sawtooth interface, rest unchanged, too hard to pull off
  6. Sawtooth interface, 0.2 top spacing, rest unchanged
  7. Final: Back to rectilinear, 0.1 top spacing, 3 interface layers, 0.2 interface pattern spacing

While the final result isn’t perfect perfect it’s much better than the other ones. I changed back from solid interface on top and it was much easier to remove.
Final:

And final SuperSlicer settings:

Gonna work on bed levelling/z-offset/first layer extrusion now.

As far as the nail polish goes that worked out really well. Only took a couple coats and was surprisingly easy to sand:

4 Likes

Great improvements!

Just curious, why did you decide to go with ABS for this?

1 Like

Wasn’t as much of a decision more of what was in my printer at the time haha.

Before this I was printing parts to eventually build a VORON 2.4 and that required ABS.

I have the setup and profiles tuned for ABS now so it works fine. Print speeds are also really fast with this tune (135 mm/s perimeters/infill, 2500 mm/s accel) and just I haven’t done a fast tune for other materials yet.

2 Likes

Does anyone have a model for a flipsky mini 6.7 case? I could make one, but I’d rather be lazy if I can. Thingiverse doesn’t turn up anything for the 6.7 and IDK where else to look.

I have the mini 4.2 on my cad dump thread with almost identical in size according to flipskys site. the 6.7 is only 0.5mm thicker

2 Likes

The ports have a different configuration. Also something like that would be helpful, but I mostly just want a model for a case. I can probably knock it out pretty quickly, but if there is already one available I’d just use that.

Edit: Actually maybe it’s just vertical vs horizontal USB.

Time for a replacement bed?

1 Like

Flip it over and send it! I prefer the smooth side actually, better adhesion, easier to clean, and glassy smooth first layers.

3 Likes

Whoa never even thought of that, thanks for the tip! Gonna get to it now

1 Like

My bed has multiple chips in it, and a variety of stains from printing identical parts 20-30x each… I bought a new one when I got the first chip like you but got many more and decided I’ll swap it in once it’s an issue with adhesion or if cracks into pieces.

2 Likes

Just put the parts somewhere else! You paid for the whole bed, not just the bit in the middle.

3 Likes

So many things I didn’t think of :sob:

thanks guys haha

1 Like

Just did a print in pla and it came out fine

I change to Petg and now get 2 issues

For some reason the prints won’t stick at all
I’m using borosilicate glass with no adhesive
I’ve raised and lowered the z offset but doesn’t help to make them stick

When I have the temperature at 240 the second one doesn’t happen at 250 it does

Damn now your printer getting faults :skull:

2 Likes

Have you check the nozzle and heating elements, my first time with petg the machine clogged up and I had to replace the nozzle/fan assembly. Also check and see if the nozzle is the right size for your slice.

Yep nozzle right size
I can replace the nozzle but it’s not very old
How can I check for a partial clog

I’m not too familiar with your particular machine, it looks like you might need to take the fan off. I would seek the manual or someone more qualified.

For me, the heating element literally was caked in petg. Maybe try a temp tower?

1 Like

ah ok
will attempt to look into how to check

never heard of this
will look into it

1 Like

The temp tower is helpful, sometimes different filament requires different temp, and sometimes a brand of filament just sucks. Good luck!

1 Like