3D Printing Discussions, Questions and Debugging

PETG is also a good alternative to ABS and typically doesn’t require an enclosure just a print surface that the PETG sticks to well enough and doesn’t destroy too quickly. You can print ABS without an enclosure as well but have to account for the desire for it to warp and the fumes are not awesome, you can mix up ABS slurry and coat the bed with it but again fumes and nasty chemicals so really not ideal (but the ABS will stick to ABS and can resist the warping). With PETG it has some of the strengths of ABS in terms of impact resistance (though it doesn’t deform like ABS instead it flexes, think coke bottle = PETG, bike helmet or most pad plastic = ABS)

4 Likes

Alright, I’m about 6 days into my machine, ended up with the ender 3 v2 cause I like intant gratification and I have a microcenter 10 min from me.
Thank you to all who habe reinforced the fact that it’s better to get to know the machine/process/software before nodding anything. It wasn’t directed at me, but I lurk/listen/learn.
I’m a straight up big forheaded caveman(ask @Jujo), and I have been able to get some decent prints so far. I was religious about squaring/trueing/leveling everything up during assembly. I feel that has contibuted to some decent prints, albeit just pla+.
This is mainly for fun and learning with my son, but would like to design/print some functional parts as my knowledge grows.
My plan is to fully tune it stock for pla, learn the machine/cura in and out and start figuring out petg b4 I go replacing anything.
Wish me luck.
From left to right: First print to last(lattice cube).

Hot off the bed

4 Likes

thanks man im trying and really gonna be doing that
thank you

@xsynatic if you or anyone wants some basically free abs just contact me

1 Like

Watched this and he seems to say not only enclosures don’t help much but can be bad for your electronics

Anyone noticed something like this or any tips how to stop this form happening

Wanna print large things in abs with high detail

And we’re up and running

Looks super awesome

4 Likes

67kg incoming

anyone want a bit
selling for £3 per kg plus shipping (no profit for me)

1 Like

Wait are those 10kg spools or 10 1kg spools? You’re gonna need specialized holders for them if they’re one big spool, since most hobby printers only use 1kg.

1 Like

Nope 52 1kg spools
Don’t worry

As I said gonna make a wooden enclosure and line with a reflective material

And if anyone wants as much abs as they like just contact me

1 Like

At £3 per kg, I would be pretty concerned about quality :grimacing:

4 Likes

Nope checked out the brand and it good

Steadytech
Should be good quality

Edit: sorry was something called ys filament or yousu filament

Do you have a way to keep all this dry while its being stored? No way you are going to go through 52kgs fast enough.

2 Likes

Nope

Oven before use

Also as I said before my aim isn’t to keep it all

I will sell most to either the forum for cheap (3£ per kg) or on eBay each roll for like £10

They are still all sealed in vacuum packed bags

My aim is to keep like 10kg max of it

I’m looking to get a 3D printer to make wheel pulleys to try out different teeth arrangements.

I’ll probably also make toys for the kiddos lol.

Any suggestions around the $300-$500 price point?

1 Like

One of the Creality printers. Solid base printer, and lots of community support for aftermarket upgrades/mods.

2 Likes

I would suggest a direct drive printer, so a Artillery Sidewinder X1 V4 (2020 version) or it’s smaller brother Artillery Genius.

@MysticalDork, does any of the creality ones come with direct drive?

2 Likes

Not sure, but upgrading to a direct drive is a pretty simple process and will still stay within that budget.
I’ve hear d good things about the Sidewinder.

I just tend to default to “buy a creality printer” when asked what printer someone should buy, unless they have a really specific set of requirements that a different printer would fit much more closely. They’re a solid baseline from which you can go a lot of different directions.

(This all coming from someone who doesn’t own any creality printers. I’ve got a Cetus Mk2, and I regret not getting an ender 3 instead every day.)

1 Like

I saw one on sale for $120 the other day :exploding_head:

2 Likes

Ohh man. I would have preferred to buy that… BTW, I cancelled the $168 one. Just too many projects at hand currently, both work and personal ones…

2 Likes

The new cr10 v3 comes with a Titan e3d direct drive extruded
But also not great reviews

Sidewinder seems to be good and my new cr10 pro v2 is flawless
Setup in an hour and printing perfectly no issues

2 Likes

Bowden only has issues when printing with oozy materials, like nylon, TPU etc. Also the print speed of the direct drive is much higher than Bowden.

2 Likes