3D-printable Tanuki Hubs! 🦝

New hub released, check it out! Hope you like it. :slight_smile:

I have another release pending, should be done in a few days.

7 Likes

Have you done any analysis on this one? The fact there is no straight line between the core and rim through material worries me, I feel like it will be slightly more comfortable since that would be a natural sock absorber but that it would also have a shorter life span than other hubs

Kind of hard to do analysis on 3d printed parts

In a homogeneous material it would be fine tho

I did one at uni, but made no screenshots, sorry. If licensing allows it I’m setting Solidworks at my desktop at home up, but thats gonna take a while, because I only use Fusion here. Fusion has a simulation feature too I think, but you have to pay for it, so yeah… nope nope :smiley:

That being said, simulations are just a rough estimate here, because 3D printed materials are not fully homogeneous, and also it varies from printer to printer. I can assure you though that these hubs are wayyy stronger than they need to be. :smiley: Weakest part in the system is the rim flange, as always.

2 Likes

This is the part that makes my old ish engineering self want to just make it the good old fashioned way, use the SLA to make a mold to cast the wheel out of almag 35 and not put another crack in my ass if it fails.

Good news! Apparently the simulation feature in Fusion360 is available for free on the education edition, so here are some simulations at several force levels.

For those who have never seen something like this: Visuals are greatly exaggerated for comprehension, the actual values are represented in the graph, as well as the extrema pointed out.

Radial load setup on the bearing surfaces:

200N (~20kg per wheel):

safety factor:

tension:

displacement:

strain:

reaction force:

500N (~51kg per wheel):

safety factor:

tension:

displacement:

strain:

reaction force:

1000N (~102kg per wheel):

safety factor:

tension:

displacement:

strain:

reaction force:

@ZachTetra :slight_smile:

2 Likes

You sure can do just that, just get a set of files and have at it. :smiley: That being said, if you have the slightest bit of control over your printer these won’t fail you.

1 Like

Cool, but you neglected to show your loading setup, that is the most important thing to know

Without knowing it, none of it is valid

3 Likes

Oh my bad, one second. It’s just a simple radial load.

Edit: Added. @ShutterShock

1 Like

Okay lol and the other important part - more important, rather, what are your constraints?

1 Like

What assumptions are you making about how layer adhesion will factor into the strength of the hubs in this direction?

1 Like

1000N strain FOS is probably the most useful measurement, all the others don’t tell us much, but that looks promising!

1 Like

None, this is modeled as a homogeneous object. :smiley: Thats why there are no forces applied to the rim flange, just to the bearing seat, as it closely behaves like a injection molded part if printed horizontally.

All surfaces which touch the tire are locked, as this is only a simulation on spoke forces.

Technically you should have a distributed force only on the lower half where it touches the inner tube

1 Like

Mhmmm would that really make a difference? brb

Edit: Nope.

id be interested to see some empirical testing done to see if layer adhesion actually has no effect on strength in this direction.

I’d be too! If you have the time, please go ahead, I sure don’t :rofl: I noticed no actual difference in my real world testing a.k.a. driving them around. That is for sure not very scientific, but as the second strongest part on the whole model I have no doubt that it is suited for the application.

1 Like

haha fair enough. Unfortunately im in the same boat tho

1 Like

An entire bearing lol

2 Likes

Ahh yeah, I didn’t notice that