20s Little FOCers on stooge SRB v5#1 comparing to Castle based SRB v5#3

obvs. this is the bane of vesc. no one trusts anything

for clarity. which fw version are you saying doesn’t cause you to eat shit? and which are you saying might and you don’t want to find out?

5.02, 5.03, 6.02

I thought 5.02 formerly had all the trust?

1 Like

5.2 / 5.02 (hate how they do that) has been solid for me with no weirdness.

5.3 / 5.03 had the full throttle flutter on the bench and I said no thank you.

Wanted to try 6.X but it kills the robogotchi functionality so haven’t pursued it.

3 Likes

Pick your poison, but I’d go with 6.02 first, just for flexibility of running sHFI if your sensors break. I’m on 6.0 and it has been flawless. If the freespin is funky or if you get faults, then I’d try 5.2 and 5.3.

FOC observer changed significantly between 5.2 and 5.3, but like pretty much everyone else, I have zero fucking clue what that actually means.

3 Likes

No they will just overheat lol. I’d stay below 15k rpm no load, and even below 12k if you want usability on days over 30C / 86f.

Meaning The ESC will overheat? that from switching speeds?

12k / 20 / 4.2v = 143kv
15k / 20 / 4.2v. = 179kv

so far by feel at 151kv i need at least 150A motor/side on the low end to get close to the pull of the SRB castle setup. in the 0 - 60% of top speed range.

hmm.

1 Like

I think you will be ok with 245kv for a few hot laps, but yeah it will heat up faaaaast

Here is what happens to 300kv at 18s unloaded

This is 22k rpm

Your motors will heat up fast, however the fan in these is great and if you can keep your speed up…it will likely be good for a few laps at AVS

4 Likes

love that you did that experiment.

so the ESC seemed to do pretty well heat wise.

I’m actually confused where the no load heat in the motor is coming from? i notice battery amps are low in the experiment. are you both saying motor heat is a function of erpm? definitely something for me to learn here still.

Yeah iron loss is the primary cause of heating in this motor. Its caused by the change in magnetic field inside the iron stator core. The faster the change in field, the more heat is generated.

2 Likes

Not ERPM necessarily but just RPM

As RPM increases and the 14 poles make their passes around the coils you generate something called eddy currents. These are stray currents in the stator core itself.

So effectivly you have yourself a double whammy…heat because of all the current you are using, and heat rises in an exponential manner, meaning double the current means 4x or more heat not just double.

And these eddy currents that come from high RPM also called iron losses this also generates heat

2 Likes

I was actually going to make a new version of the V5 reacher (which was my first motor design), with significantly improved cooling and higher RPM capability.

I’ve already designed the successor but because everyone started buying the Radium Reachers from other vendors we just don’t have the ability to reach the minimum order quantity to make it happen anymore.

I’m actually really upset about this because these motors could be so much more powerful…

Definitely a marketing failure on my part.

4 Likes

Whats the MOQ that you needed? Cant be that hard if you get a post made about them. Lots of people already like the existing reachers, if there was a genuine improvement from you, cant imagine itd be a difficult sell. Hell, i’d probably throw down some cash to try a set.

1 Like

I presume the main issue is that all the work of research and development goes in, then Reacher sell them to whoever wants them and Radium don’t reap the rewards.

2 Likes

At least 200 motors for cost to be reasonable. As low as 100 with higher manufacturing cost.

Normally motors are made in batches of 500.

Radium is lucky to sell 50 motors over the course of a year at this point.

The only idea I have is to work with brands that need motors for production boards to increase buying power. So instead of being open to any vendor to rebrand, the motors would only be available within a small vendor group kindof like authorised distributors.

This way we could have the buying power, can all agree on changes, and could achieve higher volume as you wouldn’t have every man and his dog stocking the motors and contributing nothing to development.

12 Likes

This would be ideal. Then you need to have confidence in the manufacture that they will honour this deal too.

2 Likes

I think doing a partnership with a few brands would definitely be the easiest way, also opens up distribution to other countries more easily - If what youre saying about better performance on the new design is true i would absolutely consider a set haha.

6 Likes

Id totally agree. I love buying stuff from you guys but 50$ shipping everytime I do hurts.

3 Likes

I’d imagine he probably dosnt based off how reacher sold motors with his designs to other vendors. I don’t think anything better can be expected from most Chinese manufacturers unfortunately though.

2 Likes

Welp. looks like little foc’er wasn’t supported in the firmware til 5.03. so I can’t go to 5.02. :confused:
(and going to 6.02 means breaking my robogotchi telemetry, so not ready for that yet either. )

I will add that no load flutter gives me the heebie jeebies. really scared to find out it’s there when riding. tho people say it’s not.

2 Likes

what if instead of a 14 pole motor the motor had fewer poles. would the iron losses / eddie currents be the same? I’d think they’d be less?