20S antispark ? - AS150 gets blown

So I read a lot of information on the ENLESS-SPHERE forum.

They are more used in high voltage systems (e-bikes, etc.).

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=54138

There, they know since like 2015 that XT90-S, AS150, QS8 and QS10 antispark connectors are not good when handling more than 12S. They all share almost the same kind of tiny resistor from 5 to 8 ohms.

They usually fail by heating too much at connection because of inrush current.

They advice Jeti AFC Anti-Spark Connectors for such systems :

The Jeti 5,5mm do have about 30 ohm and they work well on my 22s liIon pack. Just stay about 2sec on the “precharge ring” before completely plug them together and you will never see a spark.

Better go with Jeti 5,5mm (36 Ohm) or Jeti 8mm (30 Ohm) for higher current. Their smd resistors should withstand precharge well at higher volts and even don’t get warm.

Jeti AFC Anti-Spark Connectors 5.5mm (150A)

Jeti AFC Anti-Spark Connectors 8mm (300A)

I couldn’t find these connectors elsewhere than US stores.

8 Likes

I think it’s a 5.6Ω

1 Like

… and R for a decimal point, so “4R7” is 4.7Ω

2 Likes

So I finally bought the Flipsky AS and JETI 5.5 and 8 mm AFC AS connectors.

The Flipsky AS looks good, but is actually rated only 150A continuous. Wires are AWG12, and look tiny for my (supposed) need. I would be concerned it would start a firework inside the ammo box…

I’ve finally chosen the JETI 8 mm AFC connectors. They are great. No spark anymore. Tested several times. I think it’s the way to go for more than 18S.

I’ve also found these 8 mm connectors are very easy to solder with AWG8 wires.

6 Likes

Awesome work dude! I’m planning an 18s build and will need antispark connectors so now I know what to use! Cheers!

2 Likes

It’s crap I blew mine in two rides! The qs8 is doing well for me rn…

1 Like

lmao I got one of those for when I want to make a 24S or larger pack.

Whats the setup?

You confirm it’s the same one “Flipsky Anti Spark Switch Aluminum pcb 300A for Electric Skateboard /Ebike/ Scooter/Robots”?

20s7p Ebike

1 Like

7p p42a?

Ofc :kissing_closed_eyes:

1 Like

you my friend should get the maytech 300A antispark, I have bought my second one after having one on my DIY fluxx board, never had a single issue, using the second one for the a DIY e-bike project.

3 Likes

From the product page…

3 Likes

Well I have had so far no issues with it during regenerative breaking, might just be a disclaimer.

1 Like

56 volts, or 56 volts?

Always confusing whether they’re using ebike jive or not.

1 Like

Yeah. Where’s those fucking standards… :roll_eyes:

What voltage you at?

I vote for Volt = kg·m2·s−3·A−1 but some people prefer otherwise. IDK :man_shrugging:

The exact same battery can be called 42V or 36V depending on who is typing. Idiotic.

I just want volts that taste like real volts.

3 Likes