18650 battery?!

I’m looking for trustworthy brands, but they all seem fake as heck.lol This is my only issue with this hobby. It will be great if you guys could provide specs. Also, it doesn’t have to be the best battery. If it’s good enough. Post it here. Sorry, I’m new here.

For Example…

18650 battery
Product Name:
Price:
Mah:
Continuous amp draw:
Burst amp draw:
Cycles:
Internal resistance:
Your history using this product:

u can check mooch’s review on different types of cells here:

https://forum.esk8.news/search?expanded=true&q=Bench%20Test%20Results%20@Battery_Mooch%20%23wiki-resources%20order:latest

and there is also a battery builders club with many experts that work on batteries daily that u can chat with to get an idea which site is best for sourcing cells.

4 Likes

https://forum.esk8.news/t/battery-basics-for-beginners-wiki-serious/

Additional resource

6 Likes

thank you, this is good info to start with too

1 Like

Any battery can be faked but the big manufacturers all make great batteries…Samsung, Murata (bought Sony’s factories), LG, Panasonic (bought Sanyo’s factories), Molicel. Now, what each vendor says they are rated can be very different. But that’s a vendor issue, not a battery issue.

The big China battery manufacturers also make some good ones…Lishen, EVE, CATL, and others.

2 Likes

This is a useless rating and one to be avoided as it’s just something the vendor made up. None of the big manufacturers have a “burst” or “pulse” rating for their cells.

Manufacturers do have higher “temperature-limited” ratings for some cells that tell you how hard you can run those cells as long as they don’t get hot (reach the temp limit).

I guess it can be argued that this is a “pulse” rating since you can’t run the cell continuously this hard but IMO the words “pulse” or “burst” should be avoided since they are so badly abused.

The performance of most cells is terrible long before they reach these higher ratings though, lots and lots of voltage sag to reduce your range and shorten the life of the cells.

5 Likes

BTW…welcome to esk8.news! :grin:

5 Likes

Research,there’s plenty of valuable information on here,you joined 3hrs ago and have 25 minutes read time lol

1 Like

If you’re looking at prebuilt batteries, no esk8 branded manufacturer that I know of has ever faked cells or specs, so it’d be down to the cells used in the pack and deciding if you want a chinese pack or not.

The chinese packs that aren’t flexible are usually fine, especially 10S2P offerings from meepo/wowgo/ownboard/backfire/other. They’re not made to the quality builders here make them, but there are basically no cases of explosive failure without obvious damage.

Personally i’d avoid any premade packs from most DIY Sites, because they’re either the chinese made packs with a big markup or use outdated safety techniques because they’re batch built (Some are okay, if you can get internal pictures of the pack and post them on the battery builders thread people will let you know if they’re good)

100% avoid packs on ebay/amazon, especially ebike and escooter packs. Half of them are blaintantly fake and almost all of them use very low discharge cells.

1 Like

Casing point :arrow_up: valuable information! Never knew you are from Swansea Ben,gotta say the vx1 850mah has been solid from you,after reading a lot of issues “with the lower mah model” I was gonna convert another gt2b but it’s been spot on so thanks :+1::grin:

1 Like

Thank you! I needed this because I see to many brands giving false information. This literally drove me nuts for 2 weeks. I almost quit. You saved me. Lol

1 Like

I was checking Lishen( 3500mah and 30a discharge) yesterday. If you said it is good. I’ll keep that one on my list.

1 Like

I’m glad to be here. I can not wait to start my adventure!

1 Like

Which Lishen 18650?
No 18650 with a capacity above 3000mAh has a rating higher than 10A yet. Where did you see it listed at 30A?

1 Like

I think I saw it at Alibaba.com. i was trying to get 50 batteries for $1.00 a piece. Lol the whole thing felt sketchy, so I stopped.

3 Likes

Good call, that rating is preposterous.

1 Like

Buy a load tester. Use it to test samples of your desired cells before purchasing in bulk.

Mooch’s reviews is super helpful but means naught if ya cant confirm yourself that what you will buy are the same cells that he tested.

1 Like

You will not be able to get any quality new-stock 18650 cell for less than ~$2/piece in double-digit quantities, no matter how hard you try. It’s just not gonna happen. $3-4 is a little more reasonable, and $5+ is not out of the range of possibility depending on the seller and cell.

Set your expectations just a wee bit closer to reality, and you’ll have a much better time.

If that’s what it takes to reach “sketchy” for you, you might want to check your ceiling, I think it has the word “gullible” written up there.
That should have made your sketch-o-meter fucking BURST INTO FLAMES.

3 Likes

IMO that shouldn’t be depended on for all vendors. There are some less-than-honorable ones that will ship you good samples but then ship you crap cells for the bulk order.

Good suggestion though for the established, trusted vendors.

1 Like

Its been so good I keep on letting all my other remotes run flat after using it for so long, I expect them to last forever like this, it blows away the Uni1 for battery life by so many times :wink:

1 Like