Yet another "Weird Motor Sound" thread

This sounds like a bearing going out to me. Possibly within the sk3? I got these motors from @Chibatterysystems less than a year ago, it seems weird that it would be having issues already. I never ride in the rain or anything like that and due to the state of my batteries, these motors don’t see high amps very often either.

I finally got around to replacing my wheel bearings, the ones in the wheels now are brand new and perfectly silent. The noise is not around when in low rpm-ranges, but present when slowing down from higher rpm-ranges. Should I be concerned about this? It hasn’t seemed to affect my riding yet.

Maybe try tightening your belt just a tad. I hear a faint rattle. Process of elimination

2 Likes

That’s a weird sound. Almost sounds like you may want to try re-running calibrations?

1 Like

I suppose I could try that but it’s a little bit involved, I have to take my enclosure apart and stuff lol

Let me take a video with the other motor unplugged and the belt off to see if I can isolate it a little bit more.

Not that you are necessarily wrong @Chibatterysystems but I have been running these motor settings for probably 6 months now (several hundred miles), and I have the good 'ol FOCBOX’s so I don’t expect that is the issue but it is theorhetically possible.

@Dareno aren’t you the self-proclaimed sk3 savant? :wink:

2 Likes

Here’s another video for you guys to look at. Seems the noise is even more pronouced with the belt off. The pulley is quite tiight on the motor so I don’t think that is the perpertrator

Maybe crap in the motor. So many holes in them for iron to get in. Open up n duct tape the magnets to clean

2 Likes

If it comes to it I can open it up. Again pretty involved compared to if someone else had a similar issue with their bearing - then at least I can still ride it until I got another bearing and had to open it all up.

No weird noise at lowrpm, but the windings appear by inspection to be perfectly fine - like there’s nothing that would seem to be touching the can at higher rpm

Like you said huge holes, I don’t see anything inside

1 Like

The bearings in those motors are pretty small n with the leverage of the tight belt maybe u got a lot out of them. I wasn’t thinking the windings being a problem but metal muck in the air gap stuck to magnets. Or bearings are beat. Maybe u can creep some thin oil in and see the sound then. Maybe they have three bearings

Blast with air compressor sometimes cleans it

Another possibility is they’re likely slide fit bearings and maybe the bearing housing or shaft have developed more play from wear and at some frequency or speed and centrifugal force it vibrates. Could glue bearings in w retaining fluid.

Saw a cool way to balance a motor by taping a laser to the hanger. Spin the motor and look at the dot on ur wall and add bits of putty/glue till the dot stays put. If balanced be easier on bearings and shaft n housings

1 Like

Are we talking that slight buzzing sound accompanying the usual scream?

Check the can is tight to the front plate. Its the three screws around the shaft.

If someone has already suggested this then I apologise for not reading every comment.

Lazy. :sunglasses:

Nah its the weird rattle-y noise as it spins down

I will check the front plate though

1 Like

@k00k from the future agrees

2 Likes

I will do more hearings

Did a bit more listening but they sounded like some guy at a concert.

1 Like

Hahaha I was thinking the same thing especially in the second vid

:joy:

I was talking about the next video in the YouTube queue. I can’t get back the og

Oml haha I thought you were on the embedded videos

I was the first time then for some weird reason it went to yt

Above my paygrade.

2 Likes