Yet another geardrive

I was dicking around in F360 the other day as one does when they are waiting for their batteries to charge and I turned this out.

An important thing to note is the wheel size I’m working with which is 90mm. A key disclaimer is that there is no practical purpose for my system that I’m making save that gear drives are cool and I could put this together for less then $100 which is important for someone without disposable income for esk8.
As you can probably tell the motor would be way too close to the hanger and therefore I produced the current version of this system. While nowhere near complete this version utilizes gears from vexrobotics.com for maximum cheapness and I’m still working on the case.

Another advantage of these vex gears is that the one I’m currently using has slots that can easily be used for a push fit adapter for the wheels that could be made for ABEC or kegel wheels. To keep the driven gear centered there is a lip in the adapter to hold a bearing to ride on the axle.

The next steps will be to figure out the hanger mounting part as well as a cover and to 3d print the prototype for testing.

23 Likes

I should show you my vex pulley collection. :+1: rad direction man.

10 Likes

If you make gearing workable for 150mm wheels, the psychotiller/6shooters crowd will follow.

9 Likes

I’ll see what I can do, no promises.

2 Likes

In order to be successful it appears I may need new hangers with a longer axle length. I will do a further assessment to determine for sure.

1 Like

Do you mean a totally new hanger not available on the market now or just one that you currently don’t have?

Ones I dont have at the moment. Trying to get the whole system onto a 34mm shaft is either not possible or far more effort then I care to invest. Ill try modeling the system around @Boardnamics or @torqueboards hangers. That might produce a better result.

7 Likes

I don’t know how strong the vex gears are considering one of my vex teams back in high school broke gears with the wimpy servo motors

Not shooting you down just something to be aware of once you start testing

3 Likes

I’d love to see a gear drive for smaller setups. Was just looking at the same thing the other night. You’re much further along in F360 than me!

A set built specific to the pulley diameter really lets you save ground clearance

Nice work. I’m gonna be printing some taulman 910 this winter, might be a good project for it.

1 Like

As somone just getting into the hobby and building my first board, id love a geardrive but they are so expensive. This is exactly what I’m after. Noob question - will wheels less the 90mm work with this? (im thinking 85mm)

2 Likes

@moon

1 Like

Market is tiny things are expensive

4 Likes

Hey buddy did you scrap the 3GD?

4 Likes

$100 seems decent

1 Like

Its probably at the bottom of my list right now.

@Geo_Engineering_FTW my costs for AT gear drive is well over $100. 3 gears plus extra bearings on a drive like this makes it even more expensive.

6 Likes

Ahh, sorry, i was referring to OP’s post. I’d love one of yours, but can’t afford unfort -(

2 Likes

Looks great! Willing to share the files? I’d love to give it a test

I’d love to see more gear drives for smaller wheels that are DIY.

What’s the axle to motor center distance?

Esk8’s been on the back burner due to a couple of things(mainly the presence of snow) but I’ve been slowly been making iterations and minor improvements as I go along. As of now Axle to motor distance is 76mm and as too minimum wheel size I think you could barely squeeze in a 85mm but it could be doable with some tweaking. As to file sharing I’d like to have an actual working version before I consider doing an “alpha” or so.

3 Likes

Gear drive assemblies really aren’t that much more expensive. Every one I’ve seen is premium gear. You can’t compare that to $15 mounts and $25 pulleys for a belt setup. Make the comparison to a premium set of push fit pulleys and brackets and the price gap becomes a lot smaller

3 Likes

I have a full set of parts ready to go but tragedy struck in the form of the USPS damaging my 3D printer. I’m in the process of fixing it but in the meantime I have all the gears/bearings and shafts ready to go. So once my printer is up and going again I will have the first full prototype.

5 Likes