Which motor to chose

I’m currently in the process of building this budget board with dual 270kv 5065s, should I get some knock-off motors from eBay for about 100$ including shipping, or flipsky branded motors for around 150$ including shipping and new motor pulleys (which is necessary because of the different motor shaft shape)? I’ll also be using a 30q 6s3p battery and an ESC substitute from eBay.

If you are using the cheap Chinese ESC at 6s it doesn’t matter what motor you get because it will suck and you won’t be happy with it…at least do 10s

2 Likes

I did consider doing 10s, but I really wanted this to be a lightweight secondary commuter board (I already have a bergmeister 12s dual 6374 build) for fairly flat areas, so I think 6s is a good choice. So you’re basically saying that at this power the motor quality doesn’t really matter, right? (Also I am considering waiting until black Friday to buy a fsesc 4.20 plus and a vx1)

Ultralights should end up being roughly

• 12S1P 21700 or A123 Cells
  • Single 6355 or 6374
  • Small mount (BKB, Dickyho)
  • Caliber 9" trucks
  • 30" or so deck
  • Small enclosure
  • Single Focbox

There is no point using 6S3P, it takes longer to charge, is usually a worse shape, and configures to 90 amps which you don’t need. 12S1P Molicel P42A is cheaper to make, lighter, charges faster with a fanless tiny charger, has more power availble without pumping high amps…

The motor quality 100% matters. You want as high a quality motor in as small a package as possible. Get as fat a stator in there as you can, so you can get away with smaller motors. Torqueboards 6355 comes to mind as a really good option. Also, no build should have a bad quality component because a bad quality component is just money down the drain when you have to replace it with something longlasting

7 Likes

Haha I have basically that exact thing

• 10s1p 40T battery
  • TB 6355 motor
  • Caliber I trucks
  • BKB mount
  • Ahmyo Akasha wheels
  • TB 14T and Janux 34T pulleys
  • FS 4.12 ESC
  • Enertion HM-10 BT
  • FS VX1 remote
  • Meepo V3 battery enclosure
  • bamboo 36" deck

I think I will change out the deck to something better, and swap in a 12s P42A battery and a 1.6 FocBox

2 Likes

Brakes suck on single 6355. For single drive light boards I’d stick with single 6374 or single 6380 with the latter being heavier obviously. Mostly for braking power.

2 Likes

That’s true, unless you gear in for torque. Single 6355 is also okay for a more push assist type board which would also have to be super light

2 Likes

True that

Can very single 6355 is good to get going but the brakes SUCK

1 Like

I second that, accelerating with single 6355 is perfectly adequate, even on some hills… but the brakes omg the brakes are not good for me.

If you’re using it for push assist it’d probably be perfectly fine though… it’s very light…

Recommendation for more braking power? I don’t think a bigger motor would help as it just locks up as it is

Using a bigger motor has worked really well for me. If “super light” was my goal I would go single 6355 but if “light” was my goal I would go single 6380

Even single 6380 is going to be a much lighter board than a dual 6355

Maybe something with no room for slippage, like chain or gear drive? I’m not sure what causes poor performance for single motor braking but i’ve experienced it too. I don’t even think the belt skips, it just feels weak

For me, moving to single 6380 gave me the stopping power I need. You want almost enough to lock the wheel up on dry tarmac

And I hope your belt is aligned and tensioned well, because you will be using it to the maximum

No like I would have flat spots if I bump the braking current to 35A (at 30A now)…

Belt is tight, wheel is stone ground already, ground is dry asphalt

I’m thinking either my motor is on the wrong side (nothing I can do because single piece mount I put on with an arbor press and my full body weight on the lever) or the wheels are too small?

what’s all ya’all thoughts on dual red-rockets (racerstar) motors on a light-weight board?

2 Likes

I’m strongly tempted…I got a spare unity in the corner asking for a purpose

Its feasable, but you then need much wider trucks, its much louder, much more expensive and you have 2 belts so it becomes less pushable

1 Like

dual redrockets on 3-links would be the lightest me thinks running on open gear drive… hmmmm

my light-weight grocery getter currently weighs in a >9KG, on dual eLoftys… I can dump a good KG by dropping one motor and VESC… I’m tempted to do this for science… but it will have to wait a bit…

currently going is a different (hint 4wd) direction at the moment…