where to buy battery cells?

Yeah Id strongly recommend not. I can’t think of a single time someone got real, good cells on alibaba

$1 per cell is wayyyy to good to be true. You’ll probably recieve a cell full of sand.

2 Likes

It was a joke…lol Can’t believe the prices on that site though? Presently I have poor 18650’s in a head lamp (they came with it) I use to ride with and they last like 2 hours instead of the 10-30 hours advertised. I was planning on Molicel 21700’s but reading the whole debate thing between 21700’s and 18650’s…Still wonder why soo many insist on the 18650?

2 Likes

Perfectly useless I’m afraid you will find. Cells are sold for what they are worth. There are no miracle inexpensive ones. If they are cheaper than others it’s because they are cheaper cells.

Ahh….we posted at the same time…okay, a joke.

I’d use 21700s. They offer better energy density and more capacity per $ in many cases. Molicel p42a are essentially the gold standard of performance esk8 batteries right now. The volokno enclosures are designed for double stack 21700s anyways. Buying small quantities of cells doesn’t make much sense, but there may be someone putting in a bulk order (which will bring it down to ~4.80/cell) that you may be able to hop in on?

that’s the plan, but I just keep searching and finding more info on options, got to stop at some point and go forward, in the new year some time. I really haven’t seen anything more appealing enclosure and board wise than the Volokno. The eboards peru and trampa have some nice opt’s but like the Volokno. Torque boards has a nice enclosure/deck combo, but no flex it looks like. thanks for the advice and info!!!

1 Like

A scam? Nice!

Read their next post

Damn Sarcasm

1 Like

No, that’s called a Fire Hazard :tm: and a Waste of Money :tm:

edit: yeah I know it was a joke but other folks may be reading later

It’s about spacing, generally. There are battery compartments designed to fit a specific configuration of a specific cell, in many cases.

When you select an enclosure and deck, generally it would tell you what size of battery and from which sized cell. Some cells are larger than others and take further workarounds.

The Molicel P42A is larger than the Samsung 40T, and assuming you’re insulating your parallel groups, this is something you may run into trouble with when you run short a few millimeters of width.

The Volokno sets seems good though and I haven’t read issues of fitment.

1 Like

Gross. :joy: buying cells from Alibaba would give me the heeby jeebies.

I have some fresh bro decks just in. :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes: I may have missed it but I am still curious on which welder you will be using?

I found an even better deal, $0.50 UltraFire cells on Alibaba!

6 Likes

It would be a Sunkko 737G. The planned battery enclosure hold 12s8p but thinking I would only do 5P, not sure? Curious, What do you think it would cost me to get 12s5p battery custom built , flexible. Guess I would probably need to send the builder my enclosure? I’m hoping to have it done for the spring and presently my enclosure has cracked, thought I fixed it, it cracked again. Guess I shouldn’t ride below freezing temperatures…lool

looks about right! gotta love Alibaba

2 Likes

Roughly 720 with p42a. Pm me if you want to talk more details.