When you access to a 5 axis cnc-one piece hanger/motor mount

I’m working on my second DIY build, I have access to a 5 axis cnc at work so I’m trying to intergrate the motor mount/hanger/motor guard into one single piece. I was using a 265mm belt but this made the mount (and the giant billet of alluminum its made out of) quite big. So I’ve reworked it to take a 245mm belt to try and make the whole thing smaller.

I’d love to get some ppls opinion on it before I machine version 2.
Cheers

30 Likes

This is amazing! :heart_eyes:

Assuming you have this amazing tooling, I bet it wouldn’t be hard for you to make a custom motor shaft that allowed you to put a motor pulley on the other side of the motor as well, and then you’d have 2 wheel drive with a single motor! You could add another mounting plate on the other side, but that takes a bearing to hold the shaft level.

5 Likes

You might want to add some small holes for the motor guard, to let air flow through and cool the motor. Also, with the motor so close to the wheel pulley, you might need idlers to avoid belt skipping.

1 Like

Add some fillets and chamfers to your bushing seat

7 Likes

that’s a good Idea to protect the motor from impact… and a great catch to let a thrown rock grind and bind between the motor and guard

5 Likes

Totally a work of art!

Need a underboard view of riding it.

You should make a crazy heatsink/ESC case to match.

Agreed on the “stone catcher”. Some sort of mesh to create full coverage would be good. And holes drilled in the main shield for ventilation.

Love this idea though, I’d be interested in purchasing something like this if you were to mass produce a successfully tested product. Sadly not in a position to be a tester yet though :confused:

It’s made out of one single block of alu?

1 Like

No fucks given if it is

2 Likes

I see a pebble grinder :grin:

1 Like

Could add a hole for them to pass back out through

1 Like

Just curious about material usage. v2 I would look at bolt on solution for the motor cage/mount

Yep one big block

2 Likes

Came to say this, was ninja’d

Not if, but when, rocks get in there, it’s going to be nasty

1 Like

It’s 6061 Aluminium