What's that sound?

Last night I was riding and hit a decent sized pot hole and one of my motors is now making a clicking noise. I took apart the gear drive and made sure the gears are sound and mounted properly. Nothing appears to be rubbing. I can’t reproduce the sound by manually spinning the wheel/motor.

Is this what a broken magnet sounds like?

3 Likes

My guess is broken magnet. Gotta open those motors

1 Like

if you close your eyes and use your imagination, it sounds like a train.

jokes aside, not sure. maybe someone else can chime in.

did you check the bearings? it sounds like maybe one side of a bearing is crushed causing a lot of slop in the rotation.

Yah would swap the bearings out with another wheel see if that’s it can also just run the motor without the wheel to see if it’s in the motor or the wheel.

There’s loads of possibilities. Pulley rubbing on something? Dodgy bearing?

Magnet is also likely. Get that badboy apart

Thanks all. I’ll have to break it down this weekend I guess :sweat_smile:

it’s happened to me id have to say gravel or broken magnet

Ok I finally got around to tearing this thing apart and before I take the motor off and take it apart, does this sound like a broken magnet? I would have figured the knocking would persist even if there was no load on the motor.

1 Like

Ah actually one of the teeth on the wheel gear is a bit deformed. I guess I’ll see if I can file the bulging tooth and fix the knocking sound. :man_shrugging:

Sounds like the opening of Month Python and the Holy Grail.

Agreed. Its definitely not a magnet.

@AnotherEndeavor does the can wobble on the shaft?

It cant bee a magnet when the clicking sound appears again when the wheel does one full rotation. The motor does 2 or more rotations while wheel is doing it’s one full rotation. Can’t explain it nicely lol but I guess some of you understand what I mean.

1 Like

Off topic. Are you running those Motors on FOC? They are so quiet.

Yep foc using ackmaniac fw on flipsky 6.6 dual fsesc

2 Likes

Did you end up finding a solution? It sounds like it was the bearing and I’m having the same problem. Did you replace the bearings?

Actually what it was was that one of the teeth on the wheel gear got slightly deformed. So on every revolution of the wheel the teeth of the gears would knock into each other. I replaced the drive gear and that resolved things.

4 Likes