What would stop someone from designing a DaveGA type display that reads out the voltages of P groups?

There is this thingie I just saw.
Lithium Battery Automatic Equalizer | 1s 24s Lithium Battery Pack Single - 1s 24s - Aliexpress
I have heard that the bluetooth saps quite a bit of battery when the board is off. I would dearly love to have a readout heads up.

From what I understand, it is not that big a deal. Needing a coulomb counter, which of course is included on a smart BMS.

Already exists

2 Likes

Dont you have to already have a smart BMS of that mfg to use?

Sure, but i’d be willing to wager that over 90% of people using a smart bms on their skateboards are using a jbd bms

3 Likes

or ANT BMS or JK BMS

Doubt the ant or jk would work with the display module i linked.

I know ant make their own displays, not sure about jk

all of them have some form of display, but mostly for industrial level use, or big scale / large fleet battery vehicle.

I remember the Davega and the newer Meagan will read VESC BMS data.

2 Likes

I want a hardware bms with a CAN port that I can route to the enclosure. Do I wanna check my cell voltages? Better plug into the can interface with my laptop. No idle drain Bluetooth please. No horrific app that lets you fatfinger your battery to a slow death, please.

Checking your cell values daily is for recycled packs or packs with questionable cells imo

2 Likes

Sounds like a whole lotta skill issues

Something being very susceptible to skill issues is indicative of a design flaw, in my opinion.

Id use CAN to see it in the vesc app or on a Megan. The laptop part of my comment was hyperbole

You could probably quite literally explode your board by fat fingering vesc tool, you gonna advocate lingyi next?

I plan on adding loose 2.54mm JST plugs at the same time I add the 2.0mm jst plugs which came with my dumb Daly BMS.

I be using 2 of these to occasionally monitor my soon to exist 10s2p battery.
2, as they only have 8 pins for 7s though there is a blue 9pin model with backlight.

A future battery, 10s3p of p42a will get a Smart BMS.

I made this LM2596 voltage bucker and 2 pin adapter for top balancing a P pack for Human BMS balancing duty.

Why would I want two fat-finger-able things instead of one?

I just don’t like the fear mongering around smart bms. Its weird and unnecessary

2 Likes

I’m not sure why that kind of design would be wanted. A hardware BMS would then need an entire other series of components to just read the cells, and interface with a CAN IC chip.

At that point, having a smart BMS with CAN connectivity would likely be a less complicated and more reliable solution.