What killed my vesc

Hi Everyone, my go foc dv6 just died after maybe a month or less :frowning: Had been going Great but today a little into the ride it felt like one of my motors was going out of sink with the other one random crabbing on the back end a bit after coming off the power. then when nearly back home it is suddenly riding great againā€¦ i go for a few hard bursts then when braking it died sounded like it a small blast sound like bust into flames. after taking it apart. looks like a senser port caught fire ? what happened here ?
thumbnail_IMG_0285
Thanks Robbie

think u need to open it up for a better look inside

1 Like

1 Like

The sensor port was likely a casualty of the fire and not the cause. Iā€™d lean towards one of the capacitors popping given the damage and your mention of ā€œa small blast soundā€ Back in the days of crt computer screens I witnessed a few caps turned flamethrower

3 Likes

do you think it was this capacitor ( just below 82 )

Looks familiar!

Probably a blown fet. Unbolt it and check the backside

2 Likes

is that a blown fet ??? What did yours ?? mine was well within its limitsā€¦ no mad settings :frowning:

From the direction of the scorching Iā€™m going with this capacitor here.

Now what caused that to become a fire breather :person_shrugging:

1 Like

getting harder and harder to find reliable VESCs

3 Likes

Definitely looks like something in the power stage decided it didnā€™t want to live anymore. Kind of hard to tell exactly what with the low photo resolution and soot.

Itā€™s possible one of the caps moved under vibration and wore through the insulation, or maybe there was a loose fragment of something conductive that somehow ended up inside the case and caused a short.

Itā€™s also possible that it was an undetectable internal defect of some component, and it finally had had enough.

5 Likes

It seems they All have QC issues cheap or expensive :frowning:

1 Like

Itā€™s the nature of electrical components, probably not a fault with the vesc qc process in this case. Contact MakerXfor a replacement

1 Like

Operating caps anywhere near their rated voltage is a great way to reduce their life, especially with the millions of voltage spikes these caps are being asked to handle. Adding on to that is the heating caused by the current ā€œrippleā€ that causes current to rush in/out the cap during operation.

If the caps canā€™t handle that ripple current heating or they are experiencing voltage spikes at or above 63V then they can fail.

7 Likes

19 posts were merged into an existing topic: Derail Jail 2022

I still believe foc mode is hard for newer vescā€™s , or maybe i am just lucky with my twin vesc 4.10 in bldc mode and i run them at 12s /80-90A each since 3 year in aluminum enclosure .
but what about the hfi vesc from trampa ? maybe lot more reliable

24 posts were split to a new topic: inVESC in this discussion

Yeah, itā€™s really hard to narrow down a failure like this when the resultant skidmark covers half the top surface of the PCB and a good bit of the bottom too. The good old ā€œfollow the smoke trailā€ method has its limits.

4 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: inVESC in this discussion

This topic is temporarily closed for at least 4 hours due to a large number of community flags.