What is wrong with my vesc now?

So I have been troubleshooting some strange behavior from my FSESC 6.6. Mainly, cutouts at high speeds under heavy load. I recently installed a robogotchi and figured out that my problem is from ABS overcurrent fault.
While I was re-programming my vesc, it randomly lost all its settings and went back to default. At that point, I unplugged it and started to remove a uart plug when a spark shot across from the capacitor’s positive side to the positive battery wire. I couldn’t get the zap on video but did find out that by touching the capacitor after it is powered off, I can power on the vesc for a split second.

What the hell is going on here? Should I just be done with flipsky vesc’s? Why does nothing ever work? Why is flipsky flipshit?

Because apparently I am not allowed to upload large files to this site, here is a link with some videos of what I mean.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/13nVlTcreYdtrdSYiwleQFml5ukF_BEsz?usp=sharing

1 Like

I have never seen a hand gesture convey “the fuck?!?!” better

Some can capacitors have the can part of the negative plate (usually aluminum electrolytic caps). Its possible (likely?) that when you’re pushing down on the cap an exposed portion of the can is touching a circuit and allowing the cap to discharge across the previously open circuit.

2 Likes

Nuff said

4 Likes

Dude hate to say it but that flipsky served you well, many miles are on that. I know shit on the failure mode or repairability, but with bones on the line I’d move on myself.

1 Like

Could also be a cold/fractured Solder joint

Is it with all the caps?

2 Likes

Only the 2 closest to the power cables.

Flipsky has a track record of bad SMD soldering IME