What is the reason for the discharge?

wait you charged a dead cell at 3.5A? should have been more like 0.035A D:

3 Likes

Yes, I chose the fast method. 10min / 3.5A to 5SP.
I have to say, that the battery is brand new and have only 2 cycles.

1 Like

to 5S5P

Itā€™s not brand new if it was severely overdischarged. Those cells are now damaged, maybe badly, and should be treated as such IMOā€¦just in case.

If you prefer to ignore our recommendations Iā€™m confused as to why you asked for them?

6 Likes

My bad, I though that was clear when I said

why? O.o

well its 0.7A per cell, but thats still pretty high imo.

It was not clear.
Telling someone to charge verrrrrry slowly, and nothing else, says nothing regarding safety. Especially if the person doesnā€™t know if charging over-discharged cells quickly can potentially be risky.

2 Likes

battery WAS new and have only 2 cycles, sorry
the issue is probably dead BMS.
I unfortunately ignore the recommendation to throw away the battery.
I can do it after the test

I wish you luck.

2 Likes

4 Likes

The amount of stupidity in this thread from both @Linesflag and @JX3P is unfortunate.

Giving bad advice about recharging cells that have been dead since winter.

And then recharging the battery pack at over 3 amps and pretending itā€™s ok enough to let your kid use it? Seriously?

I occasionally build some mildly janky things, but you can be damn sure that if my kid is going to use it and ride it, itā€™s going to be safer than anything Iā€™d set foot on.

Are your brains in your ass?

12 Likes

Whatā€™s with the aggression dude tf

Heā€™s testing the pack if it still works, nobody has told him to put it pack into his kidsā€™s board.

DO not charge the battery it WILL go boom boom

3 Likes

I take it this is how the video of that guy reviving his boosted boards battery w the regenerate brakes on a treadmill worked? Lol

Like previously stated, any cells discharged below 2.5V should be considered potential firebombs. Any cells under 2V should be tossed immidiately.

4 Likes

It was bad, and potentially hazardous advice. About a fairly large battery.

That, is stupidity. If you donā€™t think it is, then youā€™re wrong. And it would make sense then why youā€™d think it a good idea to give stupid advice about batteries.

And yeah, given what OP said, itā€™s fair to assume heā€™s content to just put it back into use.

Stupidity.

2 Likes

Dead cells can definitely be revived (at a cost) and he was warned about the dangers. That is not ā€œbadā€ advice, itā€™s just advice on how to do it.

If you still have a problem with the fact that people handle potentially dangerous items such as lithium battery cells and do potentially dangerous stuff with it, Iā€™d reccomend you to stay clear of DIY sites.

Now OP chose to ignore the warnings, but thatā€™s on another page.

And just assuming shit is stupidity too.

Everyone should have a problem with that and be an active part of all the DIY sites that recommend trying something that could potentially be dangerous.

The concern we express is an important counterpoint to recommendations that involve increasing the risk of using a li-ion cell or pack (like the recommendations given in this thread). This gives everyone both sides of the discussion and letā€™s them make an educated decision.

Saying that people who donā€™t like seeing risk-increasing advice should stay away from DIY sites is reckless IMO and does a disservice to this community. We should all be here to support and share our mutual interests and help each other when possible.

7 Likes

I do stupid shit.

But would never try to revive this pack

Toss it.

4 Likes

I said that in a sense of ā€œI canā€™t handle thatā€, not in ā€œI wonā€™t try to prevent thatā€. :sweat_smile:

Youā€™re obviously right on that we should try to decrease risk, but labeling advice given on a subject as stupidity on the sole reason of it increasing calculatable risk is, as I said, stupid in of itself.

That is only my opinion though, and maybe I am biased because I had a lot of success in reusing old-ish lithium cells so far, but I still stand by it.