What are the most important things for you when choosing a battery?

What would you have to know before choosing a cell? Assume that you have no other information, what must you know before you would buy?

I’m trying to figure out what data is the most important to have in my test reports, tables, etc. Thanks!

5 Likes

Degradation, Max Amps at “healthy” temperature, energy/weight ratio and capacity at certain amp ratings. Lygte and you are most of the time my sources.

3 Likes

Longevity under ideal and not so ideal amps, basically ruggedness. Not so easy to measure I suppose.

3 Likes

discharge ability, capacity, Voltage sag and max charging rate.

Give me 500wh and something I can charge at 5c. 20 minute coffee break and I am sorted.

3 Likes

If other users recommend it :smiley:

5 Likes

I would start by balancing out number of parallel groups vs amp draw rating I plan on using.

Then I’d look at which cells of those ratings have the highest capacity and perform the best over their standard charge cycle. If you Google “cell type, mooch” you’ll find a ton of awesome graphs by a pretty cool guy.

If there are several similar ones and they are similarly priced as well, I go with the one with a higher discharge rating to hopefully keep it from operating at or near its upper limits.

Then comes price.

3 Likes

One of my new favorite stats to look at when picking a cell is the delivered Wh at a given current level.

4 Likes

What does that specifically mean for you?
Max amps below a certain temp? Cycle life?

1 Like

Its actually tied to voltage sag. I want to know how much voltage sag there is for any given discharge current.

1 Like