Vibrations and Dampening: How to

I figured it was about time a thread was created on how to safely mitigate the violent shaking that electronics are not very fond of. The purpose of this thread is to create a “tips and tricks” database where you all can share what does and doesn’t work for safely mounting electronics and other parts.

Any ideas you may have should be posted here. If it sounds crazy, post it anyway. There may be something worth exploring.

Feel free to seek advice for your own build here as well, just try to keep it on topic as much as possible!

2 Likes

I will go first with my experience.

Normally i wrap my batteries in EVA foam sheets and then add a layer of EVA foam to by enclosure and deck. it can be found in the link below

EVA foam can be found almost anywhere. Another common source for it is foam floor pads for garages.

My favorite method for mountainboards is to use “rubber isolation mounts”

you have 2 screws going into a soft block of rubber that allows your top mounted battery or esc case to move several millimeters and resist the violent shaking of hard offloading. A link to the generic commonly found version is below

These works great for vibrations and are highly customizable. they can be mounted on existing enclosure holes by using all-thread instead of a screw of the end that goes into your threaded inserts. for example, these will work:

(ordinary m4 inserts)

another method that is more compact but requires altering the enclosure is the “anti-vibration grommet”
they look like ordinary rubber grommets like you use to dust proof your wires coming out of enclosures, but they are much softer. A bolt will go through the center and be hard mounted to your deck and the edges of the grommet will be mounted as grommets normally are through material. This solution is much small in the vertical aspect but require some large holes to be drilled in the bottom of the enclosure. using grommets is also a top mount mountainboard solution as they are not weight bearing like bottom mount.

https://www.digikey.com/en/product-highlight/k/keystone/anti-vibration-grommets

all the above links can be found domestic or chinese shipped with a simple search.

2 Likes

What I do in my builds is to use a thick cloth sheet (credits to @Arch for the tip)

All components are secured to the deck with neutral cure silicone alone or with screws, the cloth between all components and enclosure, dead silent no matter how crap the road is

One thing I couldn’t make stop vibrating is motor pulley covers, so I’m running without them

Apply a thin layer of silicone sealant(to what ever surface will be in contact) and let it dry. Works like a charm.

2 Likes

I do like @mishrasubhransu but use plastidip rubber dip for tool handles. Its the same stuff factories coat pliers and stuff in to make it comfortable. The finish is very smooth

1 Like

I use a load of natural cure silicone. But that has also bitten me in the ass because I need to do some maintenance on a pack which will be a bloody nightmare.

But damn is it secure! :joy::sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Will try that, my last try was a thin layer of hot glue

1 Like

I have this urge to wrap every component in Eva or neoprene so it is vibration isolated but can still flex with the deck but what happens to all the heat generated by batteries and the esc?

this shit ^ packed into my enclosure in conjunction with Velcro gives stacks of vibration dampening and the Velcro has enough play to not kill electronics. none of my electronics are attached with screws or bolts. all held with Velcro to the deck, and held then in place with foam between the electronics and the enclosure

I’m trying to see if putting foam and fish paper on my lipo batteries would be good, also separating them from other electronics. Would i need to foam anything else?

1 Like