V1Wheel little FOCer 24S VESC onewheel upgrades SHREDWHEEL

ok. more on the creative battery train.

Got thinking about 5S lipos because you could make both stock V 15S and higher V 20S packs with them, some people might want to do that.

On a whim picked this 10Ah tattu

Doing battery upgrades and staying at 15S makes sense for people who will have hacked OW hardware and aren’t interested in more speed or have a ton of xr chargers or something.

Damn three of them fit snug as a bug in the crucial width dimension. WIth extended rails and or a less space wasteful bumper with its own light solution the part poking out the bottom edge would be no problem.

This leads to this

740Wh, at 14 wh/km that is 50km/30mi

3 Likes

during detection this thing gets a fault, does a jackhammer move and still somehow gets a ok result :laughing:

this stuff is magic man

4 Likes

μH should not be zero.

2 Likes

yolo. Although I did the non-wizard I and R detection after that and it works fine

I’d rather just outright guess and type a number like 6 in there or something — before I used 0.00μH.

But IDK :man_shrugging:

The best balance app tuning advice seems to be in the Funwheel discord.

1 Like

I talked about this a long time ago with someone who mods OWs and he said that the V1 hub is build different than normal BLDC motors. It has multiple stators that are slightly shiftet in relation to each other. He also said that they dont work good with vesc.

7 Likes

Have you tried 5.2 firmware?

1 Like

If you search I have been talking about that for like a year.

where there is a will there will be a way

4 Likes

Nope just messing around with Vtool 3

now on the beta 5.03, dang I like the dark theme.

I got it “balancing” AKA jittering instead of balancing and always jetting off one direction.

1 Like

Update.

it doin rides

7 Likes

did anyone say 4680 cells in a OW frame? we’re talking years out here

looks like 18S plus a focer.
Tesla 4680 :baby_chick:

4 Likes

Oh I wanted to ask if it is stupid to try turning on HFI? for shits the gigs if anything.

Torque really seems to be fine at the moment actually.

3 Likes

I encourage trying HFI and I’d love to hear details about your experience. But, I doubt it will work well for this.

5 Likes

What do you all think of this idea:

Buy an OW XR and while it us completely unused, install this 5S2P booster pack along with the ESC upgrade. Giving you a split 20S2P for under 2.5?K total including the new board.

The cells should have the same capacity so what could go wrong?
@Battery_Mooch

(Some minor BMS issues to overcome)

I had an even more wild idea about making this front booster battery have higher capacity cells and some kind of special protection to make sure it does not discharge unbalanced to the rear pack.
This extra capacity would be used to power the GPS for extended periods, or even if the board was taken apart after being stolen.

4 Likes

With a good BMS it should be okay. Even without a good BMS it might be okay.

As long as the GPS does not share any wiring with any other circuitry that might work. Since the GPS’ “ground” will be at up to 63V any connection of that “ground” to the OW’s common/ground will be…umm…exciting.

Possibly lots of extra work for the BMS. Make sure it’s a good one. No, a really good one.

3 Likes

I would use only the identical cells, and only if they’re all brand new

Or just take out the OW battery & ESC and sell them to someone in need, and have fun with the rest :smirk:

2 Likes

right that is what would be best to try first, I plan on selling fiberglass reinforced prints of the ESC and battery cases to people with possibly battey building also. The 5S2P booster pack idea just makes sense because someone getting into OWing and wanting a top of the line new board might not feel like selling their battery and therefor this would make it useful. Then the 21700 cell version only “makes sense” because there is leftover space there that could be used for capacity.

2 Likes

On another note I hope I someday find the crazy customer who wants a Trampa 100/250 and a matching 22S2P pack. Now that would be an epic reason to get the board widened.

1 Like

I thought I was watching the thread but somehow missed messages.

Did you settle on your final design yet? :slight_smile:

FWIW my pipe dream plans for an XR build were entailing making the controller box full length and “somehow” make the cable connecting work:

• You don’t need a battery connector at all, you can just do a fixed cable like on the Pint
  • For motor phases I thought to use MT60 outside the box and just hide it in the rail. Seal it with teflon tape or shrink tube with glue or something
  • For motor sensors maybe an external grade connector could be found that would fit on the cables inside the rail too
  • No clue about footpad sensors but something could surely be hacked together

Note I am thinking with decent to good waterproofing in mind… without that you can just do whatever :slight_smile:

The point is the connectors take way too much space that can be used for batteries :slight_smile:

But then again if there will be a 19S2P 21700 battery box, maybe I’d just put the last two cells in the controller box to get to 20S and call it…

But I won’t be doing an XR for some time yet…

2 Likes