Upgrading hurricane motors

I’m looking to upgrade the stock motors to a set of BH flipsky 6384’s. I know i’m not going to see any performance enhancements other than better thermals, but my main interest is sturdiness. I know a few others have posted here and on the FB pages regarding stock motor failures due to lack of battle hardening and some failures have been catastrophic, nearly leading to severe injury of the users. My goal is to get around that before it happens by upgrading the motors. I’ve been riding on mine for about 6 months now and they’ve been doing great until recently. Now the right motor has lost cogging strength, if that makes any sense. Basically, the right motor has significantly less resistance when hand turning and i feel that could corelate with an overall loss of acceleration and braking ability that i’m recently feeling.

My question:
What is the process of pairing the motors with the stock LingYi ESC? How big of a pain in the ass is it?

I’m sure i will also need to do some work to make the interfaces compatible as well. Would love to hear from others that have attempted this since i’m sure it’s probably a fairly typical upgrade.

2 Likes

I’ve never seen anyone “upgrade” their hurricane motors. As far as I’m concerned the lingyi escs that they are using dont have a motor detection mode, so it’s just not possible

2 Likes

Not at all. It’s absolutely possible. The esc’s don’t run/function the same way as vesc.

The real question is what upgrade will it actually provide? reliability could be better. But in the same vein, because it has no detection or programming (that I’m aware of) will there be any power increase? I think no, unless OP happens to be baking those meepo motors and the FS’s are thermally better.

for FOC doesnt the esc need to know the motors parameters? I thought thats why motor detection for FOC exists.

1 Like

I’m far from an expert here, but to my knowledge that is a VESC requirement not a FOC requirement.

I’ve seen hobbywing production boards actually include a motor detection feature for replacing motors, I figured it was a foc requirement

1 Like

LingYi ESC should work with most eskate motors without the need of “pairing” unless meepo heavily modified it. I mean LingYi ESC is generally plug-and-play. Might be good that the replacement motors would have similar KV tho.

But if you just want sturdiness, why not just diy battleharden the motors instead of replacing em?

Before LingYi began using FOC mode sine-waves for their motors and was still using square-waves (same as old evolve escs), it was possible to run them on sensorless mode. But now, all FOC LingYi (LY-FOC) are using full sensor mode, meaning that any motor that has a different hall sensor setup or configuration will not work with this ESC (unless you flash the esc, but to my knowledge this isn’t open source).

Your best bet to upgrading to 6384 motors is by using the same DXW motors that meepo are using, in the same KV setup. But then again, very hard for people outside of China to get their hands on these.

4 Likes

This is also why you need to run motor detection on VESC or any ESC that supports different motors. While testing the recommended wattage is a crucial part of this detection process, the most important aspect of the detection is actually the calibration between receiving the hall sensor data and “translating” it into the position data with the ESC. This is how you get smooth start-up from dead-zero. The other way of knowing the position of the motor is through “regenerative braking”, which is how sensorless mode works. Basically you know how you gotta kick-push the board to like about 3mph then push the throttle, well by having a little regen and the motor sending the phase currents back to the ESC through the 3 phase wires, the ESC now can match up with the sequence of those phase wires and now apply smooth acceleration/braking from there. Sensorless mode will NOT give you a smooth startup from zero due to this exact reason because at zero speed your motors aren’t sending any phase currents back to the ESC for the ESC to know which position the motor is in.

1 Like

Put a stormcore in it

1 Like