Turnigy Sk8 ESC

Got any instructions or documentation on how the open loop test works. I ordered two of these and will run the test when I finally (3 days to 3 years from now) get them set up

1 Like

This is how I do it, as long as the duty cycle and current is the same, it should be fairly apples to apples.

Keep the heatsinks on, hook it up to two motors, plug it into USB, do the motor detection, set motor limits to 80A, click the heart beat and turn on realtime data. Go to the terminal. Type:

foc_openloop 80 1000

and see what the duty cycle is. Should be about 8-9%. Adjust the second number (erpms) up or down a few hundred at a time until you are close.

Let the mosfets cool to 28C, click the RT logging button so it saves the data to a csv and run that command in the terminal. Switch to the second canbus and run it there too (hit up arrow). At some point, I’m guessing 30 seconds or so, it will start to reduce current as the mosfets reach about 77C.

Then unclick the rt logging button and upload the CSV. I’ve got an excel book that will calculate the start / end times and add it to a graph. I’ll make a post on all the escs I have data for soon. I test repaired ESCs this way so I just collect thermal data as a bonus.

12 Likes

This post needs to be archived somewhere. Even worthy of it’s own thread.

5 Likes

No obviously this should the the main concern here.

1 Like

SK8 ESC Dual 4.12 stock.STEP (14.3 MB)

2 Likes

4 posts were merged into an existing topic: Frank vs The World

Two questions.

First why 80 amps? That seems high.

Second where is the documentation for the VESC tool terminal. I’ve looked for it before without success…

1 Like

I saw these.

That an established RC hobby titan can make esk8 specific parts and not swing by to say hello in any forum, social media, or give a courtesy slide into literally any forum nerds dm’s is odd.

Their motors are good, lipos are medium, but esc’s feel odd. Feels like well intentioned aliens intercepted our radio broadcasts from a decade ago and sent us a solution we needed then.

Or is this what mainstream adoption looks like?

1 Like

IMO, in their minds there’s no benefit to stopping by. The online communities are just a tiny percentage of their sales and not stopping by won’t really affect sales anyway.

If they did have an online presence, even a little one, that opens the door to all sorts of questions that would either take up lots of their time or have folks swearing at them for saying Hello and then ignoring the community.

Questions like…
“Can I run your 80A ESC at 40A or will that make it explode since it was made for 80A?”

“Your instructions say 12AWG wire max but I only have 26AWG. Can I use twenty of those in parallel?”

“My cat dumped a cup of coffee on your ESC while I was testing it and it burned out. It’s still under warranty since it was my cat’s fault, right?”

“I can build an ESC for $5 in parts. Why does yours cost more than that?”

I’m not exaggerating with the types of questions they would get either. Many of the ones I have received over the years have been as disheartening as the ones above.

10 Likes

Yes. Pictures or it never happened.

2 Likes

oh yes, this very much.

2 Likes

did they really just put a sticker on it and call it a day? :joy: they got balls

3 Likes

The sticker probably says ‘void if removed’ :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Photoshopping it out of the product image probably caused the many month delay.

link

damn

these two still on sale

Bought one of the singles:

The FETs are ON FDBL0150N80. Looks like red = ground for the switch on this as well. It’s got a ~30x43 mm heatsink held on the FETs by the plastic case.

Also interestingly the date sticker is 7/2020. Guess these sat around a while after being made.

2 Likes

Finely aged VESC. Only the best for you my friend.

hoping for no smoky flavor.

4 Likes

I got the 2-in-1 for a fuck-around build; let’s see how it will go.

2 Likes

So it turns out, you still have to connect the two ESCs via the CAN bus ports. Unlike duals that have an internal-ish connection already, you have to connect those two together.

At least the box came with connectors.

I honestly don’t know what I was expecting for something this cheap.

2 Likes