Tubby - The little esk8 that could....I choo choo choose you.

The premise for Tubby was a test build before starting Luminar my big build for 2020. A old friend died who had been battling depression, weight and drug dependency. So I dedicate this build to you Tubby, you always made me smile I hope this board will carry on with this tradition.

It had to meet a few criteria.

1. Cheap (use existing parts)
  2. Build everything (battery, enclosure)
  3. Don’t look like total balls.
  4. Unplanned (Luminar is already a year in the planning, Tubby is last minute, 0 fux)

Parts I want to use
Crap Chinese copy of Landyachtz Evo bought when I couldn’t find a Evo for Kraken DD build. Wrapped in CF for strength.
Evolve trucks only because I have tons of them
Dickyho evolve mounts gen1
6355 or 6384 motors
Battery not sure - may use one of my spares but likely will build a new one 21700 based.
Remote DIY - esp32 S2 based
Lighting controller- espixelstick with modified code.
Wheels Likely Evolve AT because of clearance issues. Would like boas.

What this build won’t be. I fine crafted work of art. Inspiring. Well thought out, Safe. Mistakes will be made, blood will be Spilted, and bad words spoken. I will change my mind.

Fuelled mainly by heavy metal, ritalin , Canadian club with lashings of brute stuborness.

The Beginning…

To polish this turd.

SpotlessIllegalHarvestmen-small

Deck

19 Likes

What is wrapped in CF? I’m assuming something fiberglass let me know thanks

Cheers to Tubby🤙

Carbon fiber probably :joy: I had a blonde moment

Cheers to Tubby

Cheers to tubby his favourite drink was iced coffee I hate the stuff but had one today poured a little out for my homie. Yes Carbon Fibre Tubby is also a lot of firsts for me.
First CF wrap
First Enclosure Build
First DIY remote built and designed by me.
Also testing some tech to be used in next build Lumina. Custom lighting stuff…

2 Likes

Cheers to Tubby
Ya mine is non alcoholic too usually a Red Bull or monster I haven’t had a drop of alcohol in 4 years🤙
Depression and anxiety suck
I’m looking forward to this build

1 Like

Great work I will stick with moderation and being married, is that your second drink? (Death stare). adrenaline is my drug of choice. whisky just helps me focus (it’s slows my ADHD mind). Consider this build a cautionary tale on what not to do when building an electric skateboard.

1 Like

What esc

Also awesome of you and sure tubby would appreciate it

2 Likes

Definitely my 3kids and wifey is my second and third drink

2 Likes

Lessons: CF skinning sanding and more epoxy can only cover some mistakes, CF fibres in your sander vents will shock you!!!

5 Likes

Im sorry for your loss and I’m looking forward for this build.

1 Like

Thanks guys nothing like tinkering in your shed and electric shocks to make you feel alive. ESC 2 repaired FS 6.6 mounted on a single heat sink with a trusty loopkey doing all the on off heavy lifting.

4 Likes

Riding my shortboard while the sun is still out. Finally fixing the cogging issues.

9 Likes

Need a build thread on :arrow_up: that one LoL.z

5 Likes

Agreed! Looks like a proper pocket rocket.

Cheers to Tubby.

3 Likes

The lil board is one of the funniest boards I have built. My first instinct was to move to a longer deck like a 34" earthwing hoopty mainly to swing the motors forward, and stop acceleration wheelies when I lean too far back while accelerating, but despite this I don’t want to mess with the fun factor. The battery is only 10S3P so with a new enclosure I can keep the short deck and swing the motors forward the loose Calibre trucks and short wheel base means it carves better than an evolve and using idlers to maximise belt wheel pulley contact area meant I can run with loose belts. Making it easy to ride even without power. I promise a build log with the new enclosure.

3 Likes

Board and enclosure need a few more layers of epoxy and some sanding. I may try putting pigment into the last layer of enclosure epoxy. Brake lights and knight rider lights embedded into nose and tail of the deck under epoxy.
Enclosure made use 15mm dowel bolted to the deck and a plastic sheet

unnamed

3 Likes

The angles are stooopid. I have a plan for this… Wedges I was tinkering with the idea of putting them under the CF. But I may go mountain board trucks in the future. Waiting on PCBs from china for remote and receiver/led driver. I have a 2 layer offset 12S6P battery 1/2 built I might use just need to order a BMS also from china… Delay Delay Delay I am only getting packages sent in February. I have a few 13S BMS maybe I should slap another 6 cells on battery. This deck because of the angles is already going to be a belly dragger. I have a working 12S 26650 pack, this pack starts to sag at 40 amps but it may do until I get something better built. I am thinking Sony vtc6A 21700 12S3P. Ordering a bunch of D140 bestech BMS 2 X 12s and 1 X 16s now.

1 Like

Minor Tubby update mounting 2x FS 6.6 CHesc to a 150mm X 100mm heatsink it will stick though the enclosure.

Enclosure is almost done add neopixels another layer of epoxy and sand.
Battery will be the 12s6p double stack with D140 BMS need to finish. This will make tubby live up to his name. It will have an DKP evolve AT setup initialy and evolve to RPK and TB110 later might use the 6384s bellow after they hardened.

1 Like

These bad boys to be hardened…thanks to @Lee_Wright for his excellent video on how to harden them.
https://youtu.be/u87m7RJ-Pr8

3 Likes

For any noobs like me @Lee_Wright has some awesome content for you visual learners

CHEERS to TUBBY looking sweet @Movation🤙

3 Likes