Trying to decide on a vesc

Hey all!

I’m currently amassing parts for my first DIY build. So far I’ve picked up dickyho’s 145mm airless wheels with 60 tooth pulleys, flipsky VX1 remote, and a skateshred deck. I don’t want to spend much more than 1k. I’m planning on using the torqueboards 12s4p battery, torqueboards 218mm trucks, dickyho reverse mounts, and dual torqueboards 6355 190kv motors.

I’m trying to decide on a vesc. Currently I’m stuck between the flipsky 6.6 dual (the normal big size one), maker-x mini FOC, and the maytech superFOC. I’m looking for an ESC that will be reliable in FOC. I’m leaning away from the flipsky 6.6 dual because I’ve seen a lot of posts about them being unreliable, but I’m open to suggestions.

Any help appreciated!

We don’t know much about the makerx esc.

Buy Trampa vesc’s or roll the dice :woman_shrugging:

4 Likes

I’ve heard some good things on this forum about the maytech superFOC, any thoughts on those? I know longhairedboy gave a pretty stellar review on them

Honestly, go for the vesc 6 + from TRAMPA. You’ll think you will save money going with another cheaper one. But then you will buy twice when it prematurely fails/ throws a DRV. From my experience only the original FOCbox and TRAMPA a vesc 6’s are worth trusting your life with. It seems all these newly designed doubles (and some singles) are just thrown together without considering all of the high voltage and low voltage rail positions that Vedder himself has perfected over the years. That’s why a lot are having problems at high amperage and under harsh conditions.

Another note. @torqueboards is about to release their vesc 6 derivative. I would trust that one too, because it seems they are doing all of the proper testing before selling. Not having the end consumer do their alpha product testing.

6 Likes

What testing is that?

Ben, calm your tits, it has QC sticker. CLEARLY test have been done! :wink:
Think hes refering to TB indicating they were doing alot of iterations to get it right. (not sure if good or bad…probably good?)

2 Likes

@torqueboards has the ESC’s in the hands of a few people, they are running them now and pointing out what needs to change, as happens in all beta’s.

4 Likes

@Brenternet like @mmaner says. He has it in the hands of some respected community members to test them. A lot of times these new vescs that come out have only been bench Tested or shop floor tested. Needs real world testing to prove real reliability.

I appreciate all the replies! I’m looking at the focbox unity now, I know trampa VESCs are the gold standard but they’re way out of my budget, and the unity seems to be pretty good, especially if I buy it from amazon so I don’t have to deal with enertion’s shipping. Any thoughts on the unity? It seems to be a lot less of a gamble than the flipsky 6.6

1 Like

Get a Unity, its solid and cheap. You will be glad you did.

9 Likes

Sounds good, do you think they’ll drop the price on the unity for black friday? Specifically on amazon

I doubt they will run a sale, enertion’s trying to get itself out a financial mess. But the distributor might do something. @EnertionBoardsUSA any Black Friday plans?

2 Likes

Alright, I think I’m going to take you guys’ advice and go for the unity. Additional question, do I have to use the integrated antispark on the unity? Because the TB 12s4p already has an integrated antispark, is there a way to set the unity default to on so that it’ll power up when I power up the pack?

1 Like

I honestly dont know for sure, it seems like you could bridge the pins and it would be always on when voltage is applied. Id ask @Deodand. You could always have 2 switches. That way when your charging and have to turn on the BMS you dont have to have power applied to the Unity.

1 Like

You can but I might use the unity one instead, it’s been pretty flawless and the switch is really low profile. I would remove the battery one and trust the unity more personally.

1 Like

I’m thinking I’ll meet you in the middle here. I’ll use the 12s4p’s integrated antispark, and in the event that it fails I’ll find a way to remove it and go over to the unity’s. Either that, or I could ditch the torqueboards battery all together and buy an mboards 12s4p and get a psychotiller enclosure for it. Thoughts?

You can also just bridge the wires on the battery pack so that it’s always on, then use the Unity switch. Personally I would use both just for the insurance.

2 Likes

I second the unity. It’s small, has features baked in, the on switch is solid. It’s also semi protected in silicone.

3 Likes

I read about a decent amount of issues with the unity, but never anything bad about trampa vesc6.
Is it a sample size thing, because 95% can’t afford the vesc6? :crazy_face:

3 Likes

Probably. There have been some VESC6 issues, it is my understanding that they are good about resolving the issues. I would bet you even money there are 50 FocBox’s and 10 Unity’s for every VESC 6 in boards.

6 Likes