Truck recommendation for TB40 build

Hi!

Some background first. Last year I pre-ordered a Miles Rampage 6" AT, and I have now been riding that for a bit over 1000 km. It is my first esk8. I am commuting with it, but most of the mileage comes from weekend cruising. I have changed the bushings and pivot cups to Riptide, but otherwise the board is in stock config. Anyway, time for the next step, a DIY board.

I have ordered the following parts:

• TB 40" deck
  • TB fiberglass enclosure
  • TB 110 mm black 72A wheels
  • Focbox Unity
  • Flipsky VX2 remote
  • Metr Pro Unity
  • 44T Kegel pulleys

My battery will be a DIY 12s4p Molicel P42A pack. Haven’t bought a spot welder or the cells yet, but I’ll probably go with the kWeld + steal a battery from my wife’s car when she is not looking. Let’s see what I will do regarding motors, I’ll probably buy TB 6374 190kv.

The biggest question right now is the trucks. The thing is, I see a lot of people using Caliber style trucks around 218-220 mm width, precision machined or not. Many people also seem to use Surfrodz. I have been super happy with the Miles Rampage DKP trucks after the upgrade to Riptide KranK, same recommended setup as Riptide usually recommends for Ownboard/Evolve Super Carve (combo of 90a and 93a). My weight is about 155 pounds with gear on. I like how the DKPs ride, I am basically looking at buying a set of Ownboard or Evolve Super Carve trucks for the new build. I do not plan to ride faster than 30 mph.

I would prefer to be able to use my existing bushings on the new trucks. I have a rather large pile of KranK Barrel, StreetBarrel and ShortStreetBarrel in varying duro between 90-96a.

Opinions? Talk me in/out of Ownboard DKP/Super Carve? Recommendations? I have never tried TKP/RKP. Thanks!

5 Likes

if you like DKP trucks then the Flipsky / Ownboard DKP trucks w/ mounts are fine.

I would recommend RKP, you can’t go wrong with @Boardnamics 220mm trucks w/ mounts. If not TB218’s are good too and cheaper (although I would recommend upgrading the bushings to @RipTideSports double canon).

3 Likes

That gonna be a nice board. I would definitely get some quality trucks. Look at 3DServisas he have some wide RKP.

2 Likes

Thanks for the recommendations! I think I will then look into getting a nice set of RKP trucks. Those seem to be the more popular option anyway, compared to DKP.

1 Like

Update: placed an order for a set of Boardnamics split angle precision trucks. Thanks for the help!

4 Likes

Hell ya I live those trucks

2 Likes

Curious what you thought of your precision trucks, if you’ve had a chance to ride them? I’m currently torn between the Boardnamics precisions and some Ownboard DKP as well.

1 Like

boardnamics have much greater upgradability down the road if you want that!

It took some time to find a good bushing setup, because I was so used to the fluid and aggressive turning behavior of the DKPs. The boardnamics trucks come with a stiff set of barrels. I am now using softer barrel+cone combos in front and back. My board still does not carve as easily as the DKP board but its good enough. And it is a lot more stable at speed and over bumps and such. I think that buying the RKP precision trucks was a good decision.

1 Like

That’s very helpful thanks! I’m still very torn, and I get the feeling that I’ll end up doing both, just so I can find my preference.

Being new to the forums and doing my research, it seems rare to find someone who has tuned both and Provided honest and detailed feedback on their experiences.

2 Likes

I guess you are right, you will probably have to try both to get the best idea. Try to find a local riders group, maybe someone lets you try their board. Also, the chinese DKPs aren’t that expensive but you should upgrade the bushings to get the best feeling out or them. Luckily the Riptide barrels and cones are compatible with Ownboard DKP and Boardnamics RKP.

Then there is the TKP. I still haven’t tried them, but they should be somewhere in between DKP and RKP I think. Ask some people with Surf Rodz about their experience.

Edit: also, I think that the DKP was perfect for speeds up to about 20 mph, which was the top speed of my previous board. I believe that they would be too lively for the speeds I am currently doing, which is up to 30 mph.

1 Like

Surfrodz TKP are absolute fire :heart_eyes:
A lot more fun than RKP for carving around on boards that don’t go too fast.

2 Likes

Oh boy, I wasn’t expecting to throw TKP into the mix but now I’m certain that it might be a trial and error affair to find my optimal setup.
Hopefully I can find a riders group in my area that is open to test rides!

Be sure to keep us updated with how you’re warming to the Boardnamics precisions. I was originally going to build my board with Bear Kodiaks (I have a LY Switchblade) because they’re a local company and a friend raved about them as a downhill/push truck. Seems difficult to guarantee any kind of motor mount fitment for them though.