Trampa Wand - Edit Code

I was wondering if there is any way to modify the code running on the Trampa wand. Specifically what I am trying to do, is remove the text below the “Remote Locked” Message. When I lock the remote, I don’t want there to be instructions on how to unlock it. It kind of feels like putting a password on your phone, but setting the background to have the password.

I just dont know where to start with reprogramming it. Im hoping this is easier to program considering I could just replace the text with empty spaces on whatever language/IDE I will need to use.

If it is possible to program/edit the remote without too much difficulty, I definitely would like to do the following…
-Set remote unlock pattern to full reverse instead of full throttle
-Change the vesc wand logo to something custom while booting up

Any ideas on where to start? I have a pretty decent background with programing in regular languages, working with terminal and all, but these smaller chips that probably require flashing are a bit new to me. I dont even know what language if any, the remote might be running, nor do I know how to “install” a new file.

2 Likes

@Trampa

1 Like

The firmware is in here.

According to the license, you’re free to use it and change it for your own use with no restrictions. HOWEVER, if you then give or sell the modified firmware to anyone else, you’re required by law to also make your modified source code available to them.

TL;DR: no restrictions if you don’t give/sell the modified stuff to anyone

3 Likes

Good stuff, looks like it’s written in C. Pretty easy to modify simple things like text, and a bit more work and variable hunting to get other features running. Thank you guys! Now to learn flashing…

5 Likes

You’ll need to look into Zephyr & GNU ARM toolchain in order to build out a development environment to compile changes.

Not intended to be discouraging, but if this is your first foray into embedded systems, NRF / Zephyr is not an easy entry point. Just prepare for a steep learning curve.

PS: pay close attention to the GNU toolchain version that Zephyr requires.

3 Likes

Vedder actually coded software that codes the display software code.

2 Likes

Is this available to the public?

1 Like

Oh god this.
A few times i locked the remote without checking the screen, went about my business, went back on it and pressed forward+ button to unlock.
Worst i got was kfc all over the road, me tumbling (i stopped right on my head, wtf), the board shooting at a poor guy’s ankles knocking him off same as me and finally stopping in a shop’s window frame. Not a fun day

If you can make the remote to:
Need 2s press to boot up
Reverse+ button to unlock
Stop accelerating/reversing with NO input while abruptly losing signal*
I’ll pay you lol

*-a lot of the times i leave the board somewhere and leave with the remote, only to find out it went for a quick walk shortly after i left

1 Like

how is this an okay thing to still use the remote? :fearful:

2 Likes

I don’t even know, i like the remote, just not the bugs that come with the price

One time it decided to go forward while i went downstairs to get the deliveries. Blocked door, dragged charger across the room (that blew up week after, may or may not be related), and now i’ll have to paint when the lease is over

1 Like

if such incident ever happen to me, i would throw it in the fire and move on to something else better :joy:

3 Likes

Vx1 disconnects and never reconnects without a reboot, vx2 thankfully reconnects but the entire shell is held by a single screw and the wheel has different spring tensions for forward and back, plus build quality :poop:

Puck looks like a puck… i tried it and that throttle wheel is like an on/off switch.
Everything else looks mediocre, doesn’t have what i want, has other more serious issues or is trigger style.

For now i turn the remote off before leaving, check the damn screen religiously and remember in particularly bad signal areas to keep the remote with fibreglass back pointing down. Can’t call it convenient, but it’s money already spent

1 Like

those are some bad experience, i’ve also used vx1 / 2 and puck, only vx2 is the real trash for me :joy:

2 Likes

yeah gotta say so far the only remote which has really impressed is the puck sadly the feel of it isnt nice
everything else ive had issues with

@DerelictRobot seems like the ossr is a need atm

1 Like