Trampa Trademark & VESC Tool Discussions (serious)

based upon the VESC® -Project.
** VESC is a registered TM, owned by Benjamin Vedder.**
Will be in the instructions to join the above instructions.

You should not use that in the product naming or title.
You can use that expression further down in the product description.

Wrong: Yong ESC 6 based on upon VESC.

Correct: YONG ESC 6

The Yong ESC is compatible with VESC* software.
*VESC is a registered TM by Benjamin Vedder.

1 Like

i see.

7 Likes

That would be the way to handle it.
Don’t get me wrong, its totally fine to offer VESC derived HW.
We simply can’t share the code, the schematics and the identity.
Code and schematics are a given horse, but identity is nothing shareable.

1 Like

This just makes it harder to find… if I’m looking for a VESC based ESC for my next project I’m gonna our VESC in the search box and look for VESC in the title

6 Likes

Tesla opensourced pretty much all of their patents at one time and guess what:
It is not OK to offer a car called XZ electric car based on Tesla.

As a consumer you can do your research and compare cars and see what fits your needs.
Funnily everyone knows that Focboxes or Stormcores are VESC based. And as a consumer you will find them when you do your research on skate ESCs.
Brands can develop a communication strategy and build up a customer base. And customers can search for brands from their end. They trust certain brands and services and tend to buy products offer under a certain brand.

4 Likes

I don’t have permission to change it.

1 Like

Focbox? do you mean VESC-X?

Edit: also stop this hypocritical bullshit please thanks

7 Likes

This analogy is kind of garbage, its not about it being an acronym, nobody is calling all cars a VW. VESC is a descriptive term, it to me and many others describes a group of products and not a brand. It would be similar to everyone calling any electric car a tesla, in the same way in america lots of people call any 4x4 a jeep. At that point, tesla could lose their TM because the name for their car has become a description for all electric cars (TM genericism). VESC is a description for a vesc based ESC in most people’s eyes, not a specific ESC from a specific company.

Nintendo almost lost their TM because all the parents buying their kids game consoles were generically calling them a “Nintendo”. They had to spend a LOT to essentially stop people from spreading their brand for free.

3 Likes

I just bought an Raspberry Pi last week. Wait a second - it was a Tinker Board when I remember correctly.
The week before I bought an Arduino, or maybe it was a Teensy…

2 Likes

@trampa cant wait to see you guys make a parody of this about the VESC trademark

Also, before criticizing others you should probably go through your website and remove all references to other trademarks like Velcro.

It is “FUCKING HOOK AND LOOP”.

25 Likes

But not many if anyone at all calls a teensy an Arduino. They’re not the same thing, if you ask someone “Do you have an arduino” they’re going to say yes if they have an arduino or maybe an arduino clone (A literal clone). If you ask a DIYer if they’ve got a VESC, it doesn’t matter if its a Stormcore, Trampa VESC6 or Flipsky 4.12 they’ll say yes because it describes them all.

arduino doesn’t describe all microcontrollers, VESC describes all VESC based ESCs.

3 Likes

Actually we had a conversation with Velcro some years back. We are not their competition, since we do not make or offer Velcro. We changed our site according to their demands.

I instructed our responsible web content creator to change Allen Key and Velcro Bindings to alternative terms. No big deal for us.

4 Likes

They’re not the same thing, if you ask someone “Do you have an arduino” they’re going to say yes if they have an arduino or maybe an arduino clone.

Same thing here. A clone is a clone, not the original. Trademarks are names in trade to allow users to identify a certain source. A clone does not come form the same source. It might be of a different quality and probably has different warranties and support etc. A product is more than the hardware you hold in your hands. There is R&D work, customer support warranties etc involved.

If you say one term describes them all, then they must be all the same. But they are not!
A Stormcore differs from a Focbox and a VESC. They come from different sources, have different support teams behind them and different warranty terms. Also technically these products differ a lot, the need different FW etc. So don’t throw them all in one pot! They are all speed controllers, just like cars are all cars. Same with phones. I have a Samsung S x, you might have a Huawai P y or Sony xyz. They all run the Android operating system. They are not all Androids, only because the system core is the same.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure than most people and a lot of brand descrive them as “android phones”

3 Likes

Of course you did Frank… took me less than 60 seconds to find this

5 Likes

If you say one term describes them all, then they must be all the same. But they are not!
A Stormcore differs from a Focbox and a VESC.

This is just overlooking the point entirely, VESC describes all VESC based ESCs. That’s the point. Its not, all ESCs which people refer to as VESCs are identical. People call all 4x4s a jeep. A land rover is not the same as a Lambo Urus. But they’re both “jeeps”. The distinction comes on a brand level. A Lacroix Stormcore VESC is different to a Trampa VESC6 because its a Lacroix Stormcore, not because its not a VESC. A Trampa VESC6 is not a flipsky 6.6 plus because its a Trampa VESC6, not because the flipsky esc isn’t a VESC. That’s an example of how VESC is used descriptively and its the main arguement here.

A clone is a clone, not the original. Trademarks are names in trade to allow users to identify a certain source. A clone does not come form the same source.

When we talk clones, there is still a distinction. You either have a Arduino, which refers to the actual brand arduinos, or you could say you have a clone i.e Elegoo uno or whatever, but the Elegoo Uno isn’t an arduino, its a clone. Arduino isn’t being used to describe microcontrollers (Which is the generalized term people actually do use) in general, it refers almost soley to the original PCBs from Arduino inc. An Arduino Nano IS an Arduino. An Elegoo Nano is not an arduino (so the descriptive term is arduino clone, not just the word arduino). A Trampa VESC6 IS a VESC, but so is a Lacroix stormcore. Nobody is referring to a VESC based ESC as a VESC clone because the distinction doesn’t come with the word VESC it comes with the individual brand.

Yes, im aware that VESC took lots of work and the trademark is there to protect that, and honestly i’d have absolutely no problem with the enforcement of the VESC tm if it a) Wasn’t so late b) wasn’t coming from a place of such hypocrisy c) wasn’t being over-enforced in a way thats not even protecting the brand anymore. Its too late to begin enforcing it when within the community the term is generalized, its a waste of time and annoys everyone. The better approach would be to make your own distinction by making “Genuine VESC” or “Trampa VESC” the focus. Its too late to make just the word “VESC” exclusively mean one made by you, when someone says “I have a VESC” they will probably never mean “I have a Trampa VESC6”, but you could just have people saying “I have a Genuine VESC” and then its problem solved

They are not all Androids

Actually they are all andriods. “You have an andriod phone” is acceptable when referring to a google pixel or a samsung s11 plus or any other popular andriod device.

6 Likes

that would never happen even if i have Trampa VESC6, i would still say “I have a VESC” simply because its a shorter sentence to say :rofl:

4 Likes

:sweat_smile:

16 Likes