Trampa Trademark & VESC Tool Discussions (serious)

Man this thread… no wonder most the people I know that used to ride Trampa gear are selling and switching to anything else. It’s weird how one person can make people avoid skateboard parts.
It’s not a good look frank.

12 Likes

Its more like after using their cutlery to eat my meal i worked for. Then them taking my lunch money for leaving the utensils on the table when im done.

Both have a point.

My whole point
If it is OS them stop trying to enforce a TM that is not yours and get out of the way.

Also he is a grown man and can answer the messages addressed to him.

11 Likes

12 Likes

@Kaly keep up the good fight man! #FUCKFRANK

7 Likes

:clap: Maybe :clap: if :clap: he :clap: would :clap: address :clap: the :clap: feedback :clap: on :clap: his :clap: MR :clap: it :clap: would :clap: actually :clap: get :clap: merged :clap:

Also from ben’s point of view he has no clue what these ZESC are, and the MR gives no details, I would bet including a website, photos, and perhaps some sales numbers would help fast track a MR in. There isn’t any value in including a random closed source HW with no users.

For these changes, he doesn’t need to release a modified VESC Tool anyways, he can simply publish a firmware BIN which frank will have no complaints about.

As for the the duty cycle cutoff, it is not a bug. It is a setting for which the default value is not the preferred value on a skateboard. But guess what, the default value IS the preferred value on a balancing vehicle, and in many other applications.

As for merge requests getting accepted, i counted 39 this year.

9 Likes

What is the correct value? Serious question. Just finished my board last week and running FW 5.1. This is new to me. Thanks.

1 Like

Duty Cycle Current Limit Start in the Motor > General > Advanced tab is preferred to be .85 by skateboard users.

4 Likes

What’s the dangers default?

@Trampa

Why not start a Gerrit instance? It’s what we used when working with multiple devs to share code for a custom Android OS to fix things, add features, ect… It can be setup so that only certain trusted people can approve and push code to the main repo. It also gives EVERYONE a chance to contribute and test along the way. It would definitely help Ben save some time, relieve some of the pressure of being sole proprietor, ect…

1 Like

On previous versions there were power losses near max speed which worked out well as hitting top speed felt smooth, this was fixed and now it performs well till full speed when you get an abrupt power loss, for skaters this can throw people off balance, i think there is also some interplay with 2 motors where it may happen slightly out of sync. Setting the power to taper off as it approaches 95% duty cycle seems to make skateboarders happy.

Frank does not write or manage the software, if you would like ben to migrate his project to gerrit, you would be better off talking to ben. But i would like to point out, that none of the people currently complaining here actually are contributors AFAIK. I don’t think any of the currently active contributors have any major problems with the current system.

7 Likes

Many thanks for answering the question!

6 Likes

Benjamin does not care about money, companies tried to buy VESC (I don’t think Trampa can buy his IP, even if they really wanted, @Kaly). Neither is he interested to listen to bunch of feedback, he freaks out and goes offline for months. So it is kind of amazing he has Frank. Frank protects him from your feedback as much as possible, does all the boring stuff, like explains what button you need to press in VESC Tool, takes all the shit from you regarding trademark and bugs and feature requests, relentlessly argues and answers the same questions. Also talks with manufacturers, arranges meetups and production in China, sends skateboards to his garage. Hell yeah! @ducktaperules think about it, Frank is a savior. Not for all, but definitely for Benjamin.

19 Likes

Bens a ghost. I’ve tried commicating on his forum before to no avail.

That’s really of no concern to me. Or anyone that wants to contribute. All I know is I’ve watched pull requests sit forever without any acknowledgement for months and months on end.

What I’m suggesting, is an active Gerrit for those that do. It actually promotes contribution. Which would be great to help ease the process.

All in all. Frank should pm these authors about the TM and what needs to be done in order to keep the terms of this OS. Bombarding every esc thread is ridiculous from an end user’s perspective. I’m sure that would go over a shitload better with the community and the author of said esc. Outside looking in, Frank just looks like a total dick when he does that. I know he has the right. But I also have the right to go outside my home and start screaming offensive shit all I want. But I don’t like to look like or be a dickhead under normal circumstances. :wink:

11 Likes

Just curious, is this because you never expect to hit 95% duty during normal operation and you want as much power as possible up to that limit? Seems like full power cut at full duty cycle would be really bad on a self balancing vehicle.

@rpasichnyk your probably right, I can see that what Frank does allows vedder more time to code which benifits us all.

I think for many people the frustration is not with the way that vesc project is handled by vedder. They just get sick of hearing the same broken record from Frank.

Repeated discussions about trademarks and legal formalities with every new vendor in their official vendor threads.

IMO Legal negotiation between 2 vendors is exactly the type of thing that should happen in PM. If the vendor doesn’t want to comply after discussion in PM then take legal action. That conversation does not need to involve the entire forum every time it happens and it defenatly doesn’t need to derail a product thread every time.

11 Likes

You’re going to fall at 95 regardless. The best thing is to work as well as possible until that point. There are safety mechanisms such as tiltback to warn you about that point, however tiltback draws more power and raises duty cycle as it needs to speed up and get ahead of you, to tilt back.

Combining tiltback with any power limiter actually can cause a feedback loop. For example low voltage current limiting can combine with a high torque tiltback, which uses more power, which which drops voltage lower, which reduces power and causes more tiltback which there is no power for :scream: (There isn’t any such thing as more tiltback at the moment, its on or off and ramps up, but the downward spiral still happens)

3 Likes

This is 100% right. Problems arise when modified, non authorised executable versions of VESC Tool are distributed under the VESC brand. No one can have an interest in that. Its unsafe, causes confusion and is not respectful towards the develloper.

6 Likes

So just pm the esc guys about TM and OS bud. Seriously. It will be more well received by this community Frank.:metal:

6 Likes

There could also be a tool with the trampa TM removed for people to understand try modifying.

Ben wants to keep VESC OS because he wants people to look on to it and leurn. It is managed in a way that makes it very difficult to contrabut towards it with out having direct contact with him.

The issue I have is the constant hypocritical comments from frank about braking TM rules when he blatantly brakes other ones him self. TM is to suppose to stop consumers been confused of products but frank gosh after people useing it as a noun.

VESC dose not represent 1 product it’s a family of products working I a certain way. Trampa called there remote a VESC turning the term in to a noun voiding there legal TM rights.

VESC X vas never in violation of TM as it existed before TM was processed. dissent stop the school ground bully tactic of threatening emails bashing every vender that try’s there iteration/modifercations.

Yes he dose some good things dose mean he’s not doing bad at the same time. There has defiantly been a loss in profit for the company regularly hear people offloaded all there trampa gear and refusing to ever use them again because of some of Frank’s underhand tactics @Lee_Wright is the lates one I know off.

He claimed that incorporating single mcu cost trampa 10k when in fact it was 20k majority went to HFI. The real reason was the hard fork in the project that was originally ignored as pointless until it became to large. If it was incorparated earlier and the project managed differently this cost could’ve been much less. So it’s down to the indervidal is it the cost of a mistake of not including other ideas been stuban that there’s is the right way or is it the cost of charity bring support to 3rd party project?

2 Likes

HFI was a few days of coding. First rough prototype took Benjamin and Jeff an afternoon.

Unity and single processor support was weeks of coding, touching nearly everything in the code base. It was so complicated that Benjamin never wanted to touch this topic for almost a year.
He knew that its a mega pain to integrate.

1 Like